| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Whitewater Valley Railroad Baldwin S-12 Copper Theft https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29450 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Ryan Scott [ Wed May 19, 2010 2:25 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Whitewater Valley Railroad Baldwin S-12 Copper Theft |
Sometime in the past few days copper theives had their way with one of our Baldwin S-12 locos. The loco is one of two former Patapsco & Black Rivers locomotives on our roster. Luckily they only took the high voltage wire from the cabinet, but it is still going to be a chore to repair. Of course, they hit the operable locomotive of the two. At some point we will want to move forward with repairs, and I would like to find a good electrical schematic that would be appropriate for the Baldwin S-12. Even better would be one for a P&BR S-12. Anybody have one in their collection? I would be happy cover the cost of copying and shipping. Thanks Ryan |
|
| Author: | mikefrommontana [ Wed May 19, 2010 4:41 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Whitewater Valley Railroad Baldwin S-12 Copper Theft |
The Cinncinati group that is trying to change their collection has a P&BR Baldwin--though I think it's a VO-1000, not an S-12. Still might be a start (or a good engine to just have around). Michael Seitz Missoula MT |
|
| Author: | Alexander D. Mitchell IV [ Wed May 19, 2010 6:11 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Whitewater Valley Railroad Baldwin S-12 Copper Theft |
Some Canton and P&BR paper materials ended up at the Md. Rail Heritage Library, including (as I recall) a bunch of locomotive documentation from the Baldwin era--manuals, etc. Give us a chance to go back and do some digging, and I might be able to locate it all. I'm not holding out hopes for S12 wiring diagrams, but stranger things have shown up. Another (very good) alternative: SMS Services in New Jersey, the Baldwin preservers. By the way, better check the air pipes. Often those are copper, and they've been hacked out of locos, too. |
|
| Author: | RCD [ Wed May 19, 2010 10:18 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Whitewater Valley Railroad Baldwin S-12 Copper Theft |
High voltage electric fence anyone? |
|
| Author: | Afboone [ Thu May 20, 2010 12:54 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Whitewater Valley Railroad Baldwin S-12 Copper Theft |
Pit Bulls!!!!!!! |
|
| Author: | EDM [ Thu May 20, 2010 1:09 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Whitewater Valley Railroad Baldwin S-12 Copper Theft |
Can I pick the voltage? |
|
| Author: | RDG fan [ Thu May 20, 2010 9:20 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Whitewater Valley Railroad Baldwin S-12 Copper Theft |
Check with the Pennsylvania State Archives. Their massive collection of Baldwin drawings should include what you need. Here is a link to get started: http://www.phmc.state.pa.us/BAH/dam/mg/mg427.htm |
|
| Author: | Alexander D. Mitchell IV [ Thu May 27, 2010 9:18 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Whitewater Valley Railroad Baldwin S-12 Copper Theft |
I've been told that the following schematic is "appropriate" for said Baldwin. Take it with a grain of salt. ![]() Okay, on a more serious note, I took an initial browse through the Canton/P&BR stuff at the Md. Rail Library yesterday--plenty of engine manuals, but nothing (so far) in the way of wiring/electrical schematics. I'm told the chaps at SMS Services are gracious and friendly with their resources; let us know if you need a contact there. |
|
| Author: | Bob Davis [ Thu May 27, 2010 1:14 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Whitewater Valley Railroad Baldwin S-12 Copper Theft |
As a retired electronics tech, I got a big chuckle out of that schematic. When dealing with something as serious as copper theft, a little "comic relief" may be helpful. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|