Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Mixed train with ex-Strasburg open car?
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29482
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Alexander D. Mitchell IV [ Thu May 27, 2010 8:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Mixed train with ex-Strasburg open car?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 820&nseq=9

Is that a former Strasburg RR "Hello Dolly" car I see there? I wasn't aware Strasburg cast off any as surplus, instead of saving them for rebuild. I can't think of a more perfect operation for such a car, though.

So what was the structural basis for the "Hello Dolly" cars? Or were they truly assembled from scratch?

Author:  bigjim4life [ Thu May 27, 2010 9:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Mixed train with ex-Strasburg open car?

I wish Strasburg still had the Hello Dolly in it's old movie colors and old style steps/openings. I admit that it looks nice all in the same colors and style - but I miss the old style.

Author:  SZuiderveen [ Thu May 27, 2010 9:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Mixed train with ex-Strasburg open car?

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=325820&nseq=9

Is that a former Strasburg RR "Hello Dolly" car I see there? I wasn't aware Strasburg cast off any as surplus, instead of saving them for rebuild. I can't think of a more perfect operation for such a car, though.

So what was the structural basis for the "Hello Dolly" cars? Or were they truly assembled from scratch?


Well, it's not a "Hello Dolly" car, but it does seem to be ex SRR. I took a look at it last year, and it seems to be built on the body of an ex MP-54 or somesuch car. I'm going to make a wild stab and guess it is the ex-SRR "Conestoga Creek."

Steve

Author:  Chemungvalleyrail [ Thu May 27, 2010 10:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Mixed train with ex-Strasburg open car?

The former Owego and Hartford/Tioga Scenic operation in Owego, NY had a car just like this that was part of their excursion train along with two DL&W MU's, an IC coach turned table car and a UP/C&NW diner. The later two were sold to the New York & Greenwood Lake. The other three I'm not sure about. Would be curious as to where the two DL&W MU's went...

Author:  junior [ Fri May 28, 2010 12:40 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Mixed train with ex-Strasburg open car?

If I'm not mistaken, the D&GV also got those DL&W MU's spokend of which were used along with the WM coach on several recent excusrsions.

That is indeed one of the former MP54's converted by SRR. One of the first set of open cars (aside from HD) the SRR had back when 1223 was up and running, no?

Author:  Kelly Anderson [ Fri May 28, 2010 8:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Mixed train with ex-Strasburg open car?

.

Author:  Richard W. [ Fri May 28, 2010 10:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Mixed train with ex-Strasburg open car?

Who owns the freight cars? I'm trying to put together a listing of preserved freight cars in North America and I'd like to verify if I already have those.

Thanks,

Richard Wilkens

Author:  big-bad-2666 [ Sat May 29, 2010 10:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Mixed train with ex-Strasburg open car?

Richard W. wrote:
Who owns the freight cars? I'm trying to put together a listing of preserved freight cars in North America and I'd like to verify if I already have those.

Thanks,

Richard Wilkens

Good luck with that.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/