| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Age of Steam Roundhouse https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30080 |
Page 1 of 2 |
| Author: | tomgears [ Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:27 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Age of Steam Roundhouse |
I surfed upon this video that has some views of the roundhouse under construction. I am a bit taken by the size of the place. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiyRhXpmv14&feature=sub |
|
| Author: | Becky Morgan [ Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:42 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse |
A hint for those who are looking for it: if you're not sure you're in the right place, you aren't. It's so big that it's clearly visible from a road half a mile away. We were passing through the area and went by on the side road, but did not go onto the property so we wouldn't be in the way. You can see quite well from the road, in any case. Something else, isn't it? |
|
| Author: | Les Beckman [ Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:22 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse |
tomgears wrote: I surfed upon this video that has some views of the roundhouse under construction. I am a bit taken by the size of the place. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiyRhXpmv14&feature=sub How many diesels are in that lineup anyway and what are the model designations of each? Seems to me that there are some duplicate models. Are all of these going to be part of the collection? |
|
| Author: | joe6167 [ Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:36 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse |
New Photos http://www.ageofsteamroundhouse.com/Alb ... 10_08.html |
|
| Author: | uboat2525 [ Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:20 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse |
All I can say is WOW!!!!!!! ------ Built it and they will come, I went to college in ohio and lived outside of columbus, and even Newark for a time, never thought to go back even to visit, But I Guess I was wrong ---- This is the Field of Dreams and I hope I see Jerry to shake his hand, it is looking beautiful |
|
| Author: | Stephen Hussar [ Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:12 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse |
While it's great to see the progress of this incredible project, people should really stay away [the guy who shot the video] and let them finish. This is a private effort, and if we show some self control, maybe we'll be invited in once it's done! Enjoy the terrific photos and aerial views on the Web site...they're doing all of that for us! :) Stephen |
|
| Author: | Mike Stillwell [ Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:59 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse |
While I hate to do a me too post, I very much agree with Stephen. I hope this was not a trespasser on private property. I'd sure hate to find someone outside my house filming my "treasures" with no one around. Mike Stillwell Buena Vista, VA. |
|
| Author: | j32885 [ Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:17 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse |
I would like to see Jerry's roundhouse once it's completed, hopefully with some equipment and locomotives inside. |
|
| Author: | bigjim4life [ Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:01 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse |
While browsing around online, I saw this today, in a post on the Akron Railroad Club's blog: http://akronrrclub.wordpress.com/2010/09/22/last-steam-locomotives-leave-morgan-run/ I'm guessing all of the other equipment had not been moved under their own power? Or did it? I wish someone else had more pictures/video of this move. And, unless I'm hallucinating, was the tank engine under steam as well? That first picture makes it look like there's smoke coming out of it's stack... |
|
| Author: | Richard Glueck [ Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:29 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse |
If you build, they will come. |
|
| Author: | Joshua K. Blay [ Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:55 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse |
From the looks of it, the 0-4-0's rods were removed and 1293 was providing sole power. Joshua |
|
| Author: | Dave Lewandoski [ Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:29 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse |
yeah with the trin moving in reverse, it does look like the tank is hot. |
|
| Author: | Tim Botti [ Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:43 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse |
#1293 was in steam, with the RS-18 #1800 in idle. The tank engine #3 had its main rods removed and was only along for the ride. A couple photographers were out to nab shots, perhaps one will post. I imagine there's a few nice roster shots of 1293 in her new home. |
|
| Author: | PaulWWoodring [ Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:15 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse |
If anyone in or near NE Ohio is interested, as part of the AC&Y HS convention tomorrow, AOS volunteer (and frequently published author) Mark Perri will present a photo-update on the museum in the afternoon session. Details of the convention available on the Society's website. I do mean update, like with photos being taken as I write this on Friday. Convention to be held in the very large social hall of a church in W. Akron. |
|
| Author: | daylight4449 [ Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:18 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse |
If anything, a project of the magnitude seen with the AoS roundhouse will serve as the basis for a new Steamtown, at least in my book. Fact is that Jerry Joe Jacobson (who i do hold in high regard, as well as a certain C&O614) has done well for years. If anything, he's proof of what we Americans are capable of when it comes to steam preservation. By my count its 20-7, with the Brits winning. But chances are that my count is off... |
|
| Page 1 of 2 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|