| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Watchmans crossing shanty stop sign https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30474 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Les Beckman [ Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:01 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Watchmans crossing shanty stop sign |
Here is a photo from the Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum's website: http://hvrm.railfan.net/historical/116_Plymouth.jpg The photo shows a former NKP shanty in Plymouth, Indiana shortly before it was taken out of service. We have a similar shanty at our museum. I would like to build a replica of the stop sign shown in this photo. Does anyone have dimensions of a similar device? I kind of assume pipe was used for the staff, but what size? And what is the diameter of the sign itself? Any help appreciated. Thanks. And have a great Thanksgiving everyone! Les |
|
| Author: | F.N.Kuenzel [ Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:08 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Watchmans crossing shanty stop sign |
Les, Comparing the size of the sign diameter to the crossbucks and the actual shanty door,i'm going to guess the sign diameter would be about at least 20" The shanty door looks pretty narrow so it's probably not more than 30" and crossbucks are like maybe 4ft?.I've got a similar sized round rusty steel sign that is riveted to a pc. of old flattened boiler tube at the top wich i found laying on the floor of my depot's freight side when i dismantled it. I will take a look tomorrow and measure it,and the pipe boiler tube as i still have it out back.I'm really not sure what mine originally was for as the steel round part is pretty rusty! It was from the AC&Y and i have no idea if it was maybe a speed limit sign or what? I've got a few other old steel flanger signs that came off the NYC RR Norwalk branch wich also utilized old boiler tubes wich were flattened with the steel flanger sign riveted to them. |
|
| Author: | Orsonroy [ Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:55 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Watchmans crossing shanty stop sign |
Hi Les, No guesswork required: I've got a copy of the original AMC diagrams for the sign, dated 11/17/1931. The sign is 19" diameter, 16 gauge steel, enameled white with black border and letters. Letters are 4" tall, and are a specific AMC font (I have those diagrams too). The pole is straight grain hardwood, 1-3/8" diameter, with two coats of clear varnish. Total length of sign with the pole attached is seven feet. Send me an email off list and I'll pass you a copy of the sign diagram! rtbsvrr69 (AT) yahoo.com |
|
| Author: | Chris Salmonson [ Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:57 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Watchmans crossing shanty stop sign |
![]() Here is the Stop Sign at Mid-Continent. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|