Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

D&H caboose to Carbondale
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30505
Page 1 of 1

Author:  robertjohndavis [ Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:26 am ]
Post subject:  D&H caboose to Carbondale

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 28&t=76648


Wooden D&H caboose displayed INDOORS for 30 years headed from Vermont "home" to Carbondale, PA.

I thought I knew every railroad relic in White River Jct, but I never knew about this!

Hope she's headed to continued indoor storage. And kudos to the former owners for not scrapping her!

Rob

Author:  isaksenj [ Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: D&H caboose to Carbondale

Video coverage in the local media:

http://www.wnep.com/videobeta/24508bba- ... Carbondale

Car looks to be in magnificent shape - especially the interior.

Author:  Chemungvalleyrail [ Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: D&H caboose to Carbondale

I'm glad to see this caboose has been saved. Steamtown had sent me an e-mail well over a year ago, maybe two, that indicated that this caboose was up for grabs and wanted to know if we were interested. We were, it there was no large purchase price. I spoke to a gentleman from the company dealing with it and waited. A woman from the same place called and I asked her "Is it being sold or donated?" she said she would get back to me and that was the last I heard of it.

Very glad to see it go to Carbondale as it is indeed in home turf. We would like to have had it here, but the D&H only came to Elmira after Conrail started, so its new home is more appropriate. Steamtown would have been a good location as well, and it could possibly have been operated, but would it have sat outdoors and deteriorated or been placed in the roundhouse?

Attached are two pix that were sent to me of the caboose.

Rob P
Chemung Valley RHS
Elmira
www.chemungvalleyrailway.org

Attachments:
D&H caboose inside.jpg
D&H caboose inside.jpg [ 115.16 KiB | Viewed 3777 times ]
D&H caboose in Hanover NH.jpg
D&H caboose in Hanover NH.jpg [ 95.26 KiB | Viewed 3777 times ]

Author:  Les Beckman [ Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: D&H caboose to Carbondale

I too am glad to see that the caboose has been so well cared for and is going to go to a home where she will still be protected. D&H #35964 is a genuine "end cupola" caboose; where the rear end of the cupola lined up exactly with the rear end of the caboose body. There were not many cupola cabooses built this way. The D&H was one of the few road to have such cars. It is interesting that this style D&H caboose had interesting variations within this basic caboose body style; center cupola, offset cupola, end cupola (like 35964) and later, no cupola. I wonder how many other end cupola D&H cabooses survive besides number 35964?

Les

Author:  Mr. Ed [ Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: D&H caboose to Carbondale

We are indeed fortunate that the RYPN group is so into preservation that they will let you post a link to another railroad site. The administrator at that other site won't! I won't mention his name.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/