Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Instability of the RYPN message posting page
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30516
Page 1 of 1

Author:  PCook [ Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:19 am ]
Post subject:  Instability of the RYPN message posting page

Is anyone else experiencing the RYPN message typing page getting unstable when you type several paragraphs? I have seen this recently when using computers with XP and Windows 7 (both with IE8), the typed lines start to bounce around and the typing gets outside the bottom of the form. Any thoughts on why it is happening?

PC

Author:  JohnCloos [ Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Instability of the RYPN message posting page

I have experienced this a time or two,, always thought it was a programmed way to make my postings more to the point :-)

In all honesty it is a bit cumbersome when making a longer posting and you wish to go back and edit for typos and such. No idea what the cause is however.

Happy holidays to all

Author:  Richard Glueck [ Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Instability of the RYPN message posting page

Not able to log in today, using the direct URL. Keep getting Yahoo!

Author:  robertmacdowell [ Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Instability of the RYPN message posting page

If the glitch is happening to you and you alone, your most likely reason is viruses or spyware on your Windows PC. I know that's the equivalent of saying the "fromogglegator razzlestat on your car". However. Reality is real whether you understand it or not. Viruses are a dead serious threat to you and yours whether you understand them or not. So I hate to send people on a snipe hunt for possible spyware, but - the downside is serious enough to justify it.

If it happened to several people after a software patch, then it's the software. By which I mean the "web browser" program, the program that lets you surf the internet. One such program is Internet Explorer. Others are Firefox, Safari and Chrome. If you recently did a software update and it failed, then it's finally time to switch to Firefox, which you should do anyway for security reasons.

Author:  PCook [ Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Instability of the RYPN message posting page

Thanks for the excellent guidance - From what I can see, it is not a computer virus problem as I have seen it happen with several different computers using different anti-virus programs, and the instability usually starts when you do a post longer than four or five paragraphs. However, all the computers I have noticed this happen with are running Internet Explorer 8.

I am typing this post in Firefox and I typed an enormous block of random word text that would be about ten paragraphs in a typical posting, then cut the random portion back out of the text block again before posting this. The posting did not get unstable, so I suspect that Robert is correct about the Internet Browser issue. It does seem to be related to IE8.

PC

Author:  steaminfo [ Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Instability of the RYPN message posting page

The direct URL will no longer work, as RyPN has been moved (under the most capable guidance of David Collison) to a new hosting provider. The company which provided free hosting for the site for about 4 years, has ceased operations and gone out of business. Its paying customers have been transferred to a very capable provider.

Author:  Alexander D. Mitchell IV [ Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Instability of the RYPN message posting page

I use Firefox 3 (well, 3.6.12 at the moment) exclusively. Never seen a problem of the sort you describe. Couldn't make it happen on my wife's computer either, though we still use Win XP..........

Author:  David [ Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Instability of the RYPN message posting page

The bug itself actually isn't in RyPN, but with the IE8 browser. The IE team has confirmed the IE8 textarea bug here:

http://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedbac ... kID=432377

For now this bug can be fixed by activating compatibility view on your own browser, or it can also be fixed by implementing a CSS hack on the forums. I'll take a look tomorrow at what needs to be done to implement this hack.

Author:  PCook [ Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Instability of the RYPN message posting page

David, thanks for the investigation on that. It seemed strange to me that one of our computers that sometimes gets unstable text lines with IE8 on RYPN does not have the same problem when visiting the site with Firefox.

It would be so nice if we could use Microsoft software without having to fix it.

PC

Author:  Mr. Ed [ Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Instability of the RYPN message posting page

Funny you should mention that because it happend to me on another site. I am using IE 8.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/