Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Canadian National U-2-e Class Under Construction
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30680
Page 1 of 1

Author:  joe6167 [ Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Canadian National U-2-e Class Under Construction

I've had this document in my collection for a while, and it seemd like it would be a good idea to post it on my website. It is an article from Canadian National Magazine discussing CN's new U-2-e and U-2-f class Northerns and features numerous photos of the locomotives under construction at Montreal Locomotive Works in 1940

New Power for Canadian National Trains

Also included in the article is additional information on various classes of CNR steam power and several advertisements by CN.

Author:  Richard Glueck [ Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Canadian National U-2-e Class Under Construction

Nice! Thank you.

Author:  joe6167 [ Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Canadian National U-2-e Class Under Construction

I figured this forum could use some relief from the GG1 thread...

Author:  Finderskeepers [ Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Canadian National U-2-e Class Under Construction

Notice the typo right out of the gate Joe?
"Fifteen equipped with boosters from Montreal Locomotive Works, Ltd.
Ten without boosters from Canadian Locomotive Works, Kingston, Ontario.
The booster-equipped engines are classified by the railway as U-2-e, Road Nos. 6165-6179, while those without boosters are U-2-f, Road Nos. 6130-6189."

Author:  joe6167 [ Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Canadian National U-2-e Class Under Construction

I used an OCR (optical character recognition) program to 'read' the document that I had scanned. It doesn't always get it right.

Author:  SPpacificfan [ Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Canadian National U-2-e Class Under Construction

Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing!

Author:  J3a-614 [ Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Canadian National U-2-e Class Under Construction

"I figured this forum could use some relief from the GG1 thread..."--Joe 6167

That and Pennsy K4s! Interesting that the big P company still commands such a following, now well over 40 years gone!

I also found this CN steam roster; of note are the 10 2-10-2s in the number series 4200-4209. These are ex-New York Central engines (I think Boston & Albany) that got sold to the CN because they were considered too slow on a road like the NYC, at least that's the story as I have it:


http://www.angelfire.com/ca/TORONTO/CNRsteam.html

Oh, the internet can be quite amazing, thanks not only to itself, but to the people with the passion to put all this stuff on. . .

Author:  joe6167 [ Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Canadian National U-2-e Class Under Construction

Try THIS CNR steam roster instead...

http://www.trainweb.org/j.dimech/roster/2102ros.html

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/