It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2026 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Toilet holding tanks between steps
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:42 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:37 pm
Posts: 327
Location: Niles Canyon Railway, near Sunol, CA
Niles Canyon Railway is considering adding toilet "blackwater" holding tanks to several heavyweight passenger cars. 20 years ago I visited the Grand Canyon Railway. On their ex-Southern Pacific 1921-1923 "Harriman" design commute coaches, they installed flat rectangular fiberglass holding tanks between the stepwells. The tanks were supported on a steel-framed platform suspended from the center sill and/or step units, IIRC. This was a convenient location, requiring minimal pipe runs. (Of course, the tank would have to be removed to service the coupler draft gear, but that doesn't happen very often on most museum railroads.)

I'm trying to find suitable rectangular tanks. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Doug Debs
cell 650-704-1487


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Toilet holding tanks between steps
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:08 pm 

Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:31 pm
Posts: 329
Doug;

As a fire truck designer, I deal with water tanks everyday. One of our major tank suppliers has made numerous small custom tanks for us.

Pro-Poly of America is very good to deal with and their pricing is not out of sight.

http://www.propolyamerica.com/index.shtml

I have also purchased tanks thru "The Tank Depot" for RV style Holding Tanks that we have used in Fire Ground Command Units and Rehab Units that have either a Kitchens or Bathroom in them.

http://www.tank-depot.com/product.aspx?id=163

Tim Wilson


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Toilet holding tanks between steps
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:15 pm 

Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:57 am
Posts: 210
Doug Debs 2472 wrote:
Niles Canyon Railway is considering adding toilet "blackwater" holding tanks to several heavyweight passenger cars. 20 years ago I visited the Grand Canyon Railway. On their ex-Southern Pacific 1921-1923 "Harriman" design commute coaches, they installed flat rectangular fiberglass holding tanks between the stepwells. The tanks were supported on a steel-framed platform suspended from the center sill and/or step units, IIRC. This was a convenient location, requiring minimal pipe runs. (Of course, the tank would have to be removed to service the coupler draft gear, but that doesn't happen very often on most museum railroads.)

I'm trying to find suitable rectangular tanks. Any suggestions?


If I recall correctly, those were custom made for the Harrimans. I'll talk to a few people and see if I can get you some information about this.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: