Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Toilet holding tanks between steps
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30715
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Doug Debs 2472 [ Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Toilet holding tanks between steps

Niles Canyon Railway is considering adding toilet "blackwater" holding tanks to several heavyweight passenger cars. 20 years ago I visited the Grand Canyon Railway. On their ex-Southern Pacific 1921-1923 "Harriman" design commute coaches, they installed flat rectangular fiberglass holding tanks between the stepwells. The tanks were supported on a steel-framed platform suspended from the center sill and/or step units, IIRC. This was a convenient location, requiring minimal pipe runs. (Of course, the tank would have to be removed to service the coupler draft gear, but that doesn't happen very often on most museum railroads.)

I'm trying to find suitable rectangular tanks. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Doug Debs
cell 650-704-1487

Author:  YeOldeEnjine [ Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Toilet holding tanks between steps

Doug;

As a fire truck designer, I deal with water tanks everyday. One of our major tank suppliers has made numerous small custom tanks for us.

Pro-Poly of America is very good to deal with and their pricing is not out of sight.

http://www.propolyamerica.com/index.shtml

I have also purchased tanks thru "The Tank Depot" for RV style Holding Tanks that we have used in Fire Ground Command Units and Rehab Units that have either a Kitchens or Bathroom in them.

http://www.tank-depot.com/product.aspx?id=163

Tim Wilson

Author:  Zak Lybrand [ Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Toilet holding tanks between steps

Doug Debs 2472 wrote:
Niles Canyon Railway is considering adding toilet "blackwater" holding tanks to several heavyweight passenger cars. 20 years ago I visited the Grand Canyon Railway. On their ex-Southern Pacific 1921-1923 "Harriman" design commute coaches, they installed flat rectangular fiberglass holding tanks between the stepwells. The tanks were supported on a steel-framed platform suspended from the center sill and/or step units, IIRC. This was a convenient location, requiring minimal pipe runs. (Of course, the tank would have to be removed to service the coupler draft gear, but that doesn't happen very often on most museum railroads.)

I'm trying to find suitable rectangular tanks. Any suggestions?


If I recall correctly, those were custom made for the Harrimans. I'll talk to a few people and see if I can get you some information about this.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/