Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Help me decipher this stencil
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31162
Page 1 of 1

Author:  atsfm177 [ Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Help me decipher this stencil

We have another Boy Scout working on his Eagle Scout Leadership project at Travel Town. This scout is proposing to redeck and repaint two track carts we have.

As part of the preparations we were documenting the existing stencils today. Most make perfect sense, like 4000 pound capacity.

One of them pictured below goes like this:

A.92.04.10-.11

As first guess I interpreted this to mean 1992 April 10-11.

If this is a date, what does the A stand for?

I'm not sure how long we've had these, but it has been well over 10 years, and I doubt it's been painted that recently so any other guesses?

Greg

Attachments:
File comment: Track cart stencil
Track cart stencil.jpg
Track cart stencil.jpg [ 71.91 KiB | Viewed 2865 times ]

Author:  Brian Norden [ Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:18 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Help me decipher this stencil

Do you know the railroad from which the speeder trailer came from? The letter probably designates the shop/maintenance location.

The yellow color makes me think Santa Fe.

The Santa Fe once utilized its former Albuquerque back shop for maintaining its MW fleet of work equipment. Could the "A" indicate Albuquerque?

Author:  atsfm177 [ Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:23 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Help me decipher this stencil

I don't yet know what railroad, though Sante Fe is as good a possibility as any other. Hopefully as we remove the deck and/or turn it over we'll find some more clues.

Greg

Author:  atsfm177 [ Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Help me decipher this stencil

Well, I always hate to turn around and answer my own questions, but apparently the stencil isn't really historical after all. The number is in fact an acquisition number assigned by the City when the track carts were acquired by the museum.

I guess when they aged the paint to make it look like the other stencils it confused me. :-)

Greg

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/