| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Indiana Museum of Transportation/NKP 587 update https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31873 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Sloan [ Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:36 am ] |
| Post subject: | Indiana Museum of Transportation/NKP 587 update |
http://www.itm.org/nkp587_update.htm No word on the site about how the Indianapolis Fair calamity did or did not affect FairTrain operations. Sloan |
|
| Author: | Mgoldman [ Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:32 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Indiana Museum of Transportation/NKP 587 update |
Thanks for the update /link! A Noble project. One of my favorite engines, can't wait to see her back in action. Are the Monon F7's still at the Museum? Last I checked they were not officially listed on the roster but I think they are still there. ![]()
|
|
| Author: | gregory37 [ Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:04 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Indiana Museum of Transportation/NKP 587 update |
587 Will definitely be operational again in the very near future. I won't say in 6 months or any other sort of definitive time frame, because that just leads to more negativity when that time comes and goes and still not complete yet.. I CAN say that there's much less ahead to do than there is already completed.. Still have some firebox work to do on it, and some staybolts.. Flues are all on site ready to go in.. New dry pipe is off site but also ready for installation. We just finished repairs on rear tube sheet.. We are getting her there slowly, but we are doing everything right the first time.. Keep an eye on the ITM website as we are regularly posting updates on our progress.. F units are indeed still on site.. All are ex-MILW units.. Unit 83 is still running strong, but getting pretty rough cosmetically.. She is due in shops next for body work and some other minor mechanical repairs and then fresh paint.. Currently under restoration is unit #72 Is currently undergoing full restoration, and mechanically is nearing completion.. Some work is ongoing with the blowers and then some electrical work left to be done, then it will get new body panels and fresh paint.. Once this unit is completed and operational, then we are taking 83 out of service for its aforementioned, and much needed re-restoration. Unit 96 is currently stored inoperable due to some mechanical issues.. Plans are to repair it when money permits like the other two A units.. That just leaves the 1 B-unit unrestored, and I have not heard any definite plans for it just yet, but I'm sure it's day is coming where it too will be fully restored to operational condition. I've been a member of ITM for several years now and plan on being around for many years to come! Like I said before the website is a great place to get updates on these locomotive restorations.. http://www.itm.org |
|
| Author: | Mgoldman [ Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:01 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Indiana Museum of Transportation/NKP 587 update |
gregory37 wrote: Like I said before the website is a great place to get updates... http://www.itm.org Why aren't the Monon F's listed under "equipment"? Odd, or at least an oversite as they would most likely be a draw to the Museum, even if not running. /Mitch |
|
| Author: | gregory37 [ Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:46 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Indiana Museum of Transportation/NKP 587 update |
We are in process of updating the site with better info, and honestly we will probably not take any new pics of teh F unist till we have 1 freshly restored.. To be totally honest, the others are cosmetically pleasing to the eye, tho 83 is running as strong as any other locomotive we have, it isn't very photogenic. I wouldn't be at all surprised if 72 is completed before the end of the year, tho I'm in no way promising that.. |
|
| Author: | gregory37 [ Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:24 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Indiana Museum of Transportation/NKP 587 update |
If you would like, I can snap some current pics of the F units Saturday when I'm up there working on 587 and then post them here.. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|