| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Henry Ford Mus. Geenfield Village https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32215 |
Page 1 of 2 |
| Author: | Richard Glueck [ Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:04 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Henry Ford Mus. Geenfield Village |
Checking another off the "Bucket List", I visited the Henry Ford Museum today, along with Greenfield Village. Of course the feature piece is C&O Allegheny 1601. THE big loco is in beautiful shape, intact, greased, and painted. The cab is accessible, but portions are closed off from visitors. Unfortunately, parts of the collection were behind barriers due to renovation of the experimental automobile collection. ![]() ![]() The cab, which features microswitches under significant controls, triggering recordings of appropriate sounds. ![]() The massive six wheel trailing truck, which made the Allegheny so powerful when dragging loads of coal. ![]() Contrast between ages of technology. ![]() Outdoors, the little 4-4-0 "Edison" was fired and running this day. The "Torch Lake" was down for the day. ![]() ![]() ![]() The roundhouse at Henry Ford is capable of a full locomotive restoration. The docent I spoke with told me they have contracted to rebuild other locomotives, but presently, the shop has enough to do to maintain their own fleet. Near completion, #7, a 4-4-0 run by Ford himself, has been entirely rebuilt for service. Within two weeks, they expect to re-attach boiler to frame and drivers. ![]() One stall is dedicated to this gorgeous 4-4-2, built by American Schenectady works. Note the headlight, complete with oil wick and copper reflector. And no, she is not going to run. The Atlantic is too fast to be effectively run at Greenfield Village. Dang! ![]() ![]() Oh yes, indoors, the 4-4-0 , "President". Just beautiful and well kept. ![]() Though not a railroad museum per se, I would recommend Henry Ford and Greenfield Village to any person who loves American history and heavy machinery. Steam era lovers will not be disappointed. |
|
| Author: | Stephen Hussar [ Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:30 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Henry Ford Mus. Geenfield Village |
Excellent, Richard -thanks for the great photos and the post! Stephen |
|
| Author: | F.N.Kuenzel [ Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:28 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Henry Ford Mus. Geenfield Village |
Richard, What's the history on the gorgeous 4-4-2 Atlantic in the roundhouse as far as what RR she was originally from? I havn't been to the museum and village in about 35 years,so i guess i need to add that trip to my bucket list also and get up there soon! Thank's for sharing the nice photo's |
|
| Author: | wesp [ Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:44 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Henry Ford Mus. Geenfield Village |
Quote: What's the history on the gorgeous 4-4-2 Atlantic in the roundhouse as far as what RR she was originally from? http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=639 Wesley |
|
| Author: | SantaFe158 [ Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:51 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Henry Ford Mus. Geenfield Village |
F.N.Kuenzel wrote: Richard, What's the history on the gorgeous 4-4-2 Atlantic in the roundhouse as far as what RR she was originally from? I havn't been to the museum and village in about 35 years,so i guess i need to add that trip to my bucket list also and get up there soon! Thank's for sharing the nice photo's The 4-4-2 came from the Michigan Central. Ford had it "museumized" (polished brass, varnished wood cab, etc.) when it came to the museum. I also notice that the Edison has what looks to be a single note whistle (I believe it might be #7's) instead of the regular 5 chime. |
|
| Author: | Richard Glueck [ Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:55 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Henry Ford Mus. Geenfield Village |
I might add, I was told a GG-1 is waiting for accession to the collection. Currently in New York, they've not been able to move it due to "government regulations". My thought is, could it be PCB's or lack of roller bearings? I don't know. Neither do I know which GG-1 is designated for the Henry Ford. |
|
| Author: | SantaFe158 [ Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:10 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Henry Ford Mus. Geenfield Village |
Richard Glueck wrote: I might add, I was told a GG-1 is waiting for accession to the collection. Currently in New York, they've not been able to move it due to "government regulations". My thought is, could it be PCB's or lack of roller bearings? I don't know. Neither do I know which GG-1 is designated for the Henry Ford. According to this site: http://www.steamlocomotive.com/GG1/ The museum owns #4909 |
|
| Author: | big-bad-2666 [ Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:35 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Henry Ford Mus. Geenfield Village |
Richard Glueck wrote: I might add, I was told a GG-1 is waiting for accession to the collection. Currently in New York, they've not been able to move it due to "government regulations". My thought is, could it be PCB's or lack of roller bearings? I don't know. Neither do I know which GG-1 is designated for the Henry Ford. I forgot who told me, but if I remember correctly, I think it might be stuck in New York because of its weight and non-roller bearing wheels... |
|
| Author: | G. W. Laepple [ Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:01 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Henry Ford Mus. Geenfield Village |
Last time I checked, all the GG-1's were all roller bearing equipped. |
|
| Author: | Rick Rowlands [ Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:11 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Henry Ford Mus. Geenfield Village |
Something to do with clearance issues. The asbestos has been removed and it has an up to date COT&S. |
|
| Author: | daylight4449 [ Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:13 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Henry Ford Mus. Geenfield Village |
wesp wrote: Quote: What's the history on the gorgeous 4-4-2 Atlantic in the roundhouse as far as what RR she was originally from? http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=639 Wesley Interesting to see a NYC-based design. Is there any similarity to the atlantics used on the Boston and Albany? |
|
| Author: | Russ Fischer [ Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:11 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Henry Ford Mus. Geenfield Village |
Quote: Steam era lovers will not be disappointed. So true! I have been to the Henry Ford and Greenfield Village a couple of times and look forward to returning again. I recommend spending a day in the museum and a day in the Village and that will probably not be nearly enough time to see it all. Russ |
|
| Author: | Dave Sutter [ Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:00 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Henry Ford Mus. Geenfield Village |
Quote: Near completion, #7, a 4-4-0 run by Ford himself, has been entirely rebuilt for service. Within two weeks, they expect to re-attach boiler to frame and drivers. It is unfortunate that the olive on the frame of #7 isn't visible in the image. It looks very dark almost black inside the roundhouse, but takes on a different tone in the sunlight. Dave |
|
| Author: | Chris Salmonson [ Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:20 pm ] | ||
| Post subject: | Re: Henry Ford Mus. Geenfield Village | ||
Hmm, aren't steam locomotives were supposed to be black?
|
|||
| Author: | Richard Glueck [ Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:28 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Henry Ford Mus. Geenfield Village |
Chris, I can quote Ford himself: "Any color you want, so long as it's black". #7's frame is almost a Brunswick green in appearance. The pilot truck was completely re-machined and rebuilt in the shop, with new steel replacing stressed out items. They expect reassembly in the next two weeks. |
|
| Page 1 of 2 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|