Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Fort Eustis, NWP, Redwood Railroad Logging, and TV Sets
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33080
Page 1 of 1

Author:  J3a-614 [ Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Fort Eustis, NWP, Redwood Railroad Logging, and TV Sets

Been fooling around on that addictive YouTube again, and this is what I found:

Steam and diesels on the military railroad at Fort Eustis, featuring 2-8-0 612:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf-aAzZH ... re=related

A ride on the Nothwestern Pacific, ca. 1914:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw8FqbnF ... ure=relmfu

Redwood special on the SP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh9nCFVU ... ure=relmfu

Redwood logging and railroading in 1946:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MDgxNLD ... re=related

New England logging, from before the railroads:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIKCjQdx ... re=related

Going a little more modern, at least for here--proper train loading and handling on the Santa Fe, except when it isn't. This also suggests an excuse to round up a car load of vintage TV sets to illustrate how the railroads did (and still) deliver these and other goods in our economy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlzTqPfHrAI

Have fun.

Author:  Bobharbison [ Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:31 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Fort Eustis, NWP, Redwood Railroad Logging, and TV Sets

The intro for the TV one reminds me a bit of dragnet.

"My name is Louis ... and I'm a switchman in the Los Angeles Yard."

I loved the bit about how they were going to celebrate the arrival of their new TV. She baked a cake, made sandwiches and invited friends over! When's the last time you did that for your new flatscreen? Maybe at a Super Bowl party I guess...

Author:  J3a-614 [ Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Fort Eustis, NWP, Redwood Railroad Logging, and TV Sets

Flatscreen TV? Bah, I want one of these:

http://www.predicta.com/index.shtml

http://www.predicta.com/gallery.shtml

Just the thing to go with EMD E-units, a Seaboard Sun Lounge, and a car with fins. . .

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/