Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

IC Community Interesting in Adopting an IC Passenger Car
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33087
Page 1 of 1

Author:  railadventures [ Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:19 pm ]
Post subject:  IC Community Interesting in Adopting an IC Passenger Car

If you have an IC heritage candidate car that would be available for adoption and restoration or know where one is located, please drop me an email.

Craig Brinkman
craig@arpcp.org
www.arpcp.org

Author:  Mark Z. Yerkes [ Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: IC Community Interesting in Adopting an IC Passenger Car

It's missing its trucks and the owner may not want to donate, but it's a fairly cheap price, if nothing else:

http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com/det ... -2-REDUCED

Author:  Scott [ Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: IC Community Interesting in Adopting an IC Passenger Car

I'm sorry, but why in #@%% would someone get rid of the trucks separately?

Author:  The Man [ Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: IC Community Interesting in Adopting an IC Passenger Car

Not that I know for a fact but I have run across this before. The trucks are sometimes worth more than the car in whole. A great case is an ex PRR diner that I know of with 85k lbs. center plate trucks. The car is an MOW gutted car with nice trucks but the car is junk, another pair of office cars are at Gateway in St Louis that both have great trucks but the cars are not worth doing a Amtrak cert on. So the car above may have had 75 or 85k trucks and someone picked it up for the trucks with no interest in the car body. This was also the case with former C&O 23, the Castleblaney in Miami, FL. As far as I know those trucks are going under the Chapel Hill office car. That car had 75k trucks with 6x11 centers and outside swing hangers. IC cars from the best I can tell had a little of this and a little of that so without seeing what trucks it had it is hard to say. Another thought is that the owner had a car he liked more that needed trucks and used this car to further is own motive of fixing a car he has a love affair with. It's not all that uncommon in the passenger car world.

JJ-

Author:  dwither1 [ Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: IC Community Interesting in Adopting an IC Passenger Car

Way back in the fall of 1982, I was working in the far western part of Kentucky, known as the Jackson Purchase area. There was a railroad themed restaurant with several Illinois Central passenger cars. It may have been around Benton or Calvert City. I'm sure it is long gone. Anyone ever hear of this place? I wish I had shot some photos.

Dave

Author:  The Man [ Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: IC Community Interesting in Adopting an IC Passenger Car

Or just see this post that seems to have an idea of why the trucks are not under the car but they seem to belive the trucks come with it?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30415

JJ-

Author:  gnufe [ Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: IC Community Interesting in Adopting an IC Passenger Car

Dave,

I remember that resteraunt well. It was closed when my dad showed it to my brother and I. Both cars were sold and went to Florida i think. One car was IC 3350 "Illini" and the other car was IC 4201 "DeSoto". The DeSoto's trucks were put under a business car, but I don't know all the details.. A few years ago, it showed up for sale on D. F. Barnhrdts website, but I don't know where it went from there.

Stuart

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/