| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| "Old Rivets" Is Outside. Why? https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34746 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | railfan44 [ Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:11 pm ] |
| Post subject: | "Old Rivets" Is Outside. Why? |
I just found this beautiful picture of Old Rivets at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania on the Net. When I was there last spring for the first time I could not believe she was outside when they have so much inside space. There must be a reason. Yes they have some wonderful stuff inside, but???? Well, I don't understand and should have asked. http://www.railpictures.net/photo/427588 |
|
| Author: | Alexander D. Mitchell IV [ Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:32 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: "Old Rivets" Is Outside. Why? |
Slightly snide and sarcastic answer: Because sister GG1 4935 is now inside. Ten and fifteen years ago, when 4800 was on display inside, everyone was asking, "Why is 4935 rusting away outside?" [rolls eyes] We can't win, unless you'd like to offer an arena-style roof for the whole complex. Then folks will be complaining that they can't get photos in the dark, cramped interior...... |
|
| Author: | tomgears [ Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:51 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: "Old Rivets" Is Outside. Why? |
As a resident of Wilmington, the GG-1 fleet home base, they are near and dear to my heart. She deserves better but so do so many other pieces of equipment sitting outside. Maybe one day there will be a way this can happen. |
|
| Author: | Joshua K. Blay [ Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:09 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: "Old Rivets" Is Outside. Why? |
At one time, K4 3750 and I believe the DD1 were inside as well. As pieces have been restored (three freight cars, air brake instruction car, Reading MU etc.) they have been placed inside. It will be rather interesting to see how much they can get inside once the roundhouse is completed, and a future plan even had the proposal of an additional covered track on the 741 side of the building. Time and money, Joshua |
|
| Author: | robertjohndavis [ Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:10 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: "Old Rivets" Is Outside. Why? |
railfan44 wrote: I just found this beautiful picture of Old Rivets at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania on the Net. When I was there last spring for the first time I could not believe she was outside when they have so much inside space. There must be a reason. Yes they have some wonderful stuff inside, but???? Well, I don't understand and should have asked. http://www.railpictures.net/photo/427588 It has been pretty well documented that the RRMofPA is moving forward with plans to secure additional indoor display space. https://www.google.com/search?q=RRMofPA+roundhouse&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS503US503&aq=f&oq=RRMofPA+roundhouse&aqs=chrome.0.57.3940&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS503US503&sclient=psy-ab&q=railroad+museum+of+pennsylvania+roundhouse&oq=railroad+muse+roundhouse&gs_l=serp.1.0.0i7i30j0i7i5i30l3.14374.18438.0.20063.17.13.2.0.0.6.601.4025.2-2j1j2j4.9.0...0.0...1c.1.7.psy-ab.BV8elsM7cE8&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44158598,d.bmk&fp=e39a5b750ecd0086&biw=898&bih=589 |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|