Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

HK Porter Builders Plate ID
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34758
Page 1 of 1

Author:  sbhunterca [ Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:20 pm ]
Post subject:  HK Porter Builders Plate ID

Hi, all:

Would anybody know where an H.K. Porter builders plate could be traced to identify the engine it belonged to? Specifically, builders number 7493.

Thanks,

Steve Hunter

Author:  Pat Fahey [ Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HK Porter Builders Plate ID

Hi Steve
This information is from the Porter Steam locomotives Light & Heavy a reprint of the 13Th edition Steam Catalogue published by National Model Railroad Association copyright 2001 .
Now the information on builders plate # 7493 cylinders 16/1/2"+24"+46"
engine 0-6-0T
Gauge 56/1/2"
Build 1/1/43 for U.S Army # 5019 Class C-SS-I 50 Tons
Sold 1960 to Albemarle Paper " The Rebel" Richmond, VA
Either resold or Donate Feb 1969 to N.R.H.S. Old Dominion Chapter , Richmond, VA Serviceable .
This is all the information I have , Pat.

Author:  Alexander D. Mitchell IV [ Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HK Porter Builders Plate ID

The lists I have say the Old Dominion loco is Porter c/n 7499, not 7493.

Previous threads on this loco:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22687

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22691

SteamLocomotive.Info:
http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomo ... splay=1230

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/misc/ima ... tellow.jpg

Author:  Pat Fahey [ Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: HK Porter Builders Plate ID

Hi Alexander

Well looks like their is a misprint somewhere , again going back to the Porter Book that I mentioned on last post , and also checking my David Conrad books , we have to different Builders Numbers .
Attached is scan from the Porter Book . Pat
Attachment:
Porter Locomotives.jpg # 4.jpg
Porter Locomotives.jpg # 4.jpg [ 174.03 KiB | Viewed 6545 times ]

Author:  sbhunterca [ Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: HK Porter Builders Plate ID

Quote:
Well looks like their is a misprint somewhere


I'll ask the fellow who was asking to confirm the number on his plate.

In the meantime, is there a member of the NRHS Old Dominion Chapter on line who could confirm:
a. Whether their engine is wearing its plate(s)
b. If it has plate(s) what number is on them?

I read somewhere that Porter only put one builder plate on each engine, not one per side. Not being a Porter expert by any means, I'm wondering- is this true?

Thanks!

Steve Hunter

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/