Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Black River & Western #60
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35436
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Charlie High [ Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:55 am ]
Post subject:  Black River & Western #60

I went to the BR&W to ride behind 60 on Sunday August 11. Decided to board at Flemington. While waiting we were told it was sidelined (literally on a siding) during the 1:45 p.m. trip from Ringoes to Flemington. The LV switcher was sent out to continue the train into Flemington. I rode the diesel powered 2:30 p.m. train to Ringoes. 60 was parked on a siding about midway out the line. 60 had a vapor cloud coming out of the cylinder area on the fireman's side. Hope it is just a minor problem.

Author:  bigjim4life [ Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Black River & Western #60

I believe one of the BRRHT members may be on here, so I'd let him elaborate, but according to FB, it's a minor issue, and the website for the BRRHT indicates that the engine will be running on Labor Day weekend, a few fall dates, and ALL of the North Pole Express trips... :D

Author:  Scott Kwiatkowski [ Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Black River & Western #60

Folks,

Yes, a minor problem with the fireman’s side running gear. No steam leaking out of any place it is not supposed to.

Sunday’s engine crew heard a noise and aired on the side of caution and called for the protect engine. 60 was taken off the train, inspected, and made a light engine move back to Ringoes.

60 is still scheduled for Labor Day weekend and trips in October and Christmas time.

This is not second hand info, I was there when the call came in and ran the protect engine, LV 112. I have already and plan to get more mileage out of the diesel rescuing the steamer with the good nature, in-house, steam vs. diesel banter; we all had a good laugh.

Scott

BTW, bigjim4life, love your LV 112 in HD video on Youtube.

Author:  Dave Crosby [ Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Black River & Western #60

I had the chance to stop by on Saturday after some business in Lambertville. Bought a ticket for and chased the last Flemington turn. It was great to see the 60, or as I call it "an engine of my youth" back online.

I also have to say the trust has done a nice job cleaning up the joint. The Ringos Station, display area and excursion train were all very well kept.

Scene from the Southbound trip:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=446844&nseq=0

Author:  Scott Kwiatkowski [ Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Black River & Western #60

Just a follow up to last week’s discussion about 60, she is healthy and ready to go for Labor Day weekend excursions and other future dates.

A very nice photo has been posted on the LV 112 PRR 9206 Facebook page taken by the sidelined 60 hogger. https://www.facebook.com/pages/LV-112-P ... 8065671517

Dave,

Thanks for noticing, like many other tourist operations, we are all volunteers and hearing a nice comment like yours can go a long way to all the sweat equity put in.

Shameless plug: here’s a link to volunteer sign up page. http://www.newjerseytrain.org/volunteer.html

Thanks,

Scott

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/