Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Railroad exhibits at Smithsonian
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38350
Page 1 of 1

Author:  LV 601 [ Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Railroad exhibits at Smithsonian

Will be at the Smithsonian in about 10 days and would like to check out any or all railroad exhibits. Can't seem to find the building that I would want to go to. I thought at one time there was a green southern steam engine on display somewhere there. Can anyone give me any pointers on which building I want?
Thanks

Author:  philip.marshall [ Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Railroad exhibits at Smithsonian

You want the National Museum of American History, specifically the "America on the Move" exhibition which includes the Southern 1401 and the Santa Cruz RR's Baldwin 4-4-0 'Jupiter':

http://www.si.edu/Exhibitions/Details/America-on-the-Move-61

I wish there were more, but that's it at present.

-Philip Marshall

Author:  LV 601 [ Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Railroad exhibits at Smithsonian

Thank You Phil for the info... Can't wait to see this exhibit plus the Enola Gay in VA.

Author:  philip.marshall [ Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Railroad exhibits at Smithsonian

I don't know how I could forget, but there's also the Camden & Amboy RR's Stephenson 2-4-0 'John Bull' which is located by itself just off the first-floor lobby of the same building:

http://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_841968

Have a great visit.

-Philip Marshall

Author:  Trainlawyer [ Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Railroad exhibits at Smithsonian

A comprehensive list of exhibits which include railroads in some form would be difficult to compile without spending a couple of weeks in Washington. Remember that the Smithsonian Institution is not a museum but an educational foundation which is dedicated to preserving the history and culture of the United States. They operate several museums in and around the city.

Other than the obvious 'America on the Move' exhibit at American History, there are frequently exhibits which show some facet of railroads as they impacted on American life but are not considered railroad exhibits per se. For example there is an RPO and discussion of the Railway Mail Service at the Postal Museum (by Union Station). Even though the Jupiter was moved out of Arts and Industries it is still worth the time.

I would browse the online catalog for exhibits that look interesting (Inventing in America, American Enterprise). I'd also suggest starting at the Castle and if you're not a member consider buying a membership. If you're there with your family it pays for itself surprisingly quickly.

Enjoy

GME

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/