| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| ET&WNC's Johnson City Depot now home of Yee-Haw Brewing Co. https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38384 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Chris Webster [ Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:16 am ] |
| Post subject: | ET&WNC's Johnson City Depot now home of Yee-Haw Brewing Co. |
A July 29, 2015 article in the Johnson City Press newspaper, about the former Eastern Tennessee & Western North Carolina depot in Johnson City: Yee-Haw! Downtown Johnson City craft brewery, taco shop open in old ET&WNC depot An excerpt: Quote: Downtown Johnson City’s second remodeled railroad depot is opening Thursday with a big “Yee-Haw!”.......Diners and bar patrons can let it loose at 11:30 a.m. with the official grand opening of the craft beer producer, its tap room and its onsite restaurant, the White Duck Taco Shop, in the old ET&WNC Depot on the corner of Buffalo Street and State of Franklin Road. The businesses will be open seven days a week from 11:30 a.m. to 10 p.m., with “last call” for beer and tacos at 9. The article includes a dozen photographs of the building. |
|
| Author: | p51 [ Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:24 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: ET&WNC's Johnson City Depot now home of Yee-Haw Brewing |
As a big fan of the ET&WNC, I'm thrilled that something has been done with this depot. Naturally, I would have preferred a ET&WNC museum, but we all have to be realistic. I haven't been back to that area for several years and I'm not a beer drinker really, but when I get to the tri-cities area next time, I'll be sure to pop in for a quick one, just to support any effort that preserves one of the few existing structures left from that RR. There are two other ET&WNC depots still in existence. The Linville depot is now at the Avery County museum and the Bemberg/Port Rayon depot still sits in downtown Elizabethton. Sadly, the ET&WNC tracks through Elizabethton were yanked out a while back... I have been told Bemberg's depot is now used for the Tweetsie rail trail. Here it is in better times, long since having been disused by the RR: ![]() ![]() I can't find any current photos of the Linville depot online, but it's far more along than this shot shows, and now has original ET&WNC 3-foot rails laid in front and caboose 505 recently placed on those tracks: |
|
| Author: | Alexander D. Mitchell IV [ Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:10 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: ET&WNC's Johnson City Depot now home of Yee-Haw Brewing |
One of those buildings you'd have to look at three times to figure out it was a RR station: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.314585, ... 312!8i6656 Not the first brewpub for Johnson City, either. The Sophisticated Otter is/was one of three otter-named breweries, and the only one I failed to get to before it closed in 2005. |
|
| Author: | p51 [ Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:38 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: ET&WNC's Johnson City Depot now home of Yee-Haw Brewing |
This is a then and now shot of the building, which I'm sure has changed since the "now" part:
|
|
| Author: | JohnnyWinkler [ Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:13 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: ET&WNC's Johnson City Depot now home of Yee-Haw Brewing |
https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?f ... =1&theater |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|