Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

PRR Doodlebugs
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38423
Page 1 of 1

Author:  tomgears [ Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:04 am ]
Post subject:  PRR Doodlebugs

I'm researching PRR doodlebugs for a history bit I am writing about Wilmington and Western's PRR No. 4662. I am interested in stories and photos. I seem to remember that maybe a few people here mentioned seeing, riding, or running them in service. Please PM or email me at tgears1@gmail.com

Thanks,

Author:  ArtS [ Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: PRR Doodlebugs

The other one is sitting in Ringoes, NJ.

Regards,

Art S.

Author:  PaulWWoodring [ Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: PRR Doodlebugs

Are you interested in the 1940 wreck at Cuyahoga Falls, OH that ended gasoline-powered doodlebugs on the Pennsy? Head-on between Hudson-Akron local bug and steam double-headed Columbus-Cleveland freight. Gruesome stuff. 43 barbequed by 300 gallons of gas in overhead tank. Doodlebug crew forgot about order to take siding just before crash site. Most of the crew jumped and lived. URL to wire service article on disaster:

http://www3.gendisasters.com/ohio/2321/cuyahoga-falls,-oh-head-train-collision,-july-1940


There is a local history memorial plaque to the wreck near the grade crossing (the line is now unused and rail-banked by Akron Metro RTA), put up about 12 or 15 years ago, in an effort by public school students, amazingly enough. I was living in MD at the time, but many in the local RR community went to the dedication.

Author:  tomgears [ Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: PRR Doodlebugs

I'm aware of the 4666 in NJ and have the whole story on the wreck. I'm interested in first-hand accounts of working on them as crew or in the shop. I want to hear from these guys.

Author:  wesp [ Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: PRR Doodlebugs

Tom,

I don't know if PRR 4662 was ever fired up when it was at Lake Roland. All of the old hands I know of from the early days of National Capital Trolley Museum are no longer with us to tell the tale. Perhaps there is someone at Baltimore Streetcar Museum who can help.

Wesley

Author:  j32885 [ Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: PRR Doodlebugs

Here's a video tour of the PRR 4666 Doodlebug at the Black River & Western. I saw last year during the 2014 TCA Convention.

Pennsylvania Railroad 4666 (Doodlebug), 06-28-2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ledBMdu0UuE

Enjoy! ^_^

Author:  David Notarius [ Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: PRR Doodlebugs

Hi Tom, I worked on the 4666, both on the New Hope & Ivyland and the Black River & Western. I even travelled on the 4666 on her transfer run on the Reading * Penn Central between the NH&L/BR&W in 1975. Feel free to PM me for more details & stories. Have fun - David Notarius, Wimblington UK, ex New Hope PA.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/