It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: What is it? *PIC*
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 7:22 pm 

Anyone know what the car in the photo below is? All I know is that it's supposedly ex-Union Pacific.

Boyd

Image
ddg14@attbi.com


  
 
 Post subject: not sure, but
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 8:47 pm 

Could this be an old plow with the blades removed?


  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is it?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 9:20 pm 

> Anyone know what the car in the photo below
> is? All I know is that it's supposedly
> ex-Union Pacific.

> Boyd

There was an explanation on Trainorders.com, western board awhile back but I wouldn't know where to begin the search.


lamontdc@adelphia.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is it?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 3:05 am 

This car is at the museum/depot in Ogden, UT., right? I'm not sure what it started life as, but the Heber Creeper tourist train used it as a generator car in the '80s-- I believe it housed a small commercial diesel or gas-engined generator to provide lights and power to an ex-UP dining car and other equipment used on the train at that time. (I have pix of it being used this way in 1987.)

> Anyone know what the car in the photo below
> is? All I know is that it's supposedly
> ex-Union Pacific.

> Boyd


davew833@yahoo.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is it?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 3:54 am 

There is a similar car at the "cabooses motel" in Dunsmuir, CA. I do not know what it is.

wyld@sbcglobal.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is it?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 8:41 am 

It is not Union Pacific. Here is the info from the Heber Creeper roster I've developed:

No. B-2
Type: Power Car
Built - circa 1940
Ex-USN 3520073, Navel Defense Depot, Clearfield, Utah.

Acquired by Wasatch Mountain Railway c. 1972
In service 1972-1990
Stored at Heber City 1990 -1999
To Utah State Railroad Museum, c. 1999

Note: B-2 was supposed to have been converted from a rotary snowplow, but I've seen other cars like this that had small wedge plows. I'm not convinced that it is in fact a rotary carbody.

Jeff

jterry618@msn.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is it? A snow plow?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 1:59 pm 

Is that truss-rod frame heavy enough to be from a snow plow? All the plows that I've seen, wedge or rotary, have all had very heavy frames.

Boyd

ddg14@attbi.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is it? A snow plow?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 10:52 pm 

Has it been thought that it may have been just a flanger? That's what it looks like to me, but it doesn't look like there's room between the two trucks. Who knows.

jtjjtb@aol.com


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: