| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| What is it? *PIC* https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5424 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Boyd Owens [ Sat Mar 22, 2003 7:22 pm ] |
| Post subject: | What is it? *PIC* |
Anyone know what the car in the photo below is? All I know is that it's supposedly ex-Union Pacific. Boyd ![]() ddg14@attbi.com |
|
| Author: | RH [ Sat Mar 22, 2003 8:47 pm ] |
| Post subject: | not sure, but |
Could this be an old plow with the blades removed? |
|
| Author: | ge13031 [ Sat Mar 22, 2003 9:20 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: What is it? |
> Anyone know what the car in the photo below > is? All I know is that it's supposedly > ex-Union Pacific. > Boyd There was an explanation on Trainorders.com, western board awhile back but I wouldn't know where to begin the search. lamontdc@adelphia.net |
|
| Author: | davew833 [ Sun Mar 23, 2003 3:05 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: What is it? |
This car is at the museum/depot in Ogden, UT., right? I'm not sure what it started life as, but the Heber Creeper tourist train used it as a generator car in the '80s-- I believe it housed a small commercial diesel or gas-engined generator to provide lights and power to an ex-UP dining car and other equipment used on the train at that time. (I have pix of it being used this way in 1987.) > Anyone know what the car in the photo below > is? All I know is that it's supposedly > ex-Union Pacific. > Boyd davew833@yahoo.com |
|
| Author: | Cwylde [ Sun Mar 23, 2003 3:54 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: What is it? |
There is a similar car at the "cabooses motel" in Dunsmuir, CA. I do not know what it is. wyld@sbcglobal.net |
|
| Author: | Jeff Terry [ Sun Mar 23, 2003 8:41 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: What is it? |
It is not Union Pacific. Here is the info from the Heber Creeper roster I've developed: No. B-2 Type: Power Car Built - circa 1940 Ex-USN 3520073, Navel Defense Depot, Clearfield, Utah. Acquired by Wasatch Mountain Railway c. 1972 In service 1972-1990 Stored at Heber City 1990 -1999 To Utah State Railroad Museum, c. 1999 Note: B-2 was supposed to have been converted from a rotary snowplow, but I've seen other cars like this that had small wedge plows. I'm not convinced that it is in fact a rotary carbody. Jeff jterry618@msn.com |
|
| Author: | Boyd Owens [ Sun Mar 23, 2003 1:59 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: What is it? A snow plow? |
Is that truss-rod frame heavy enough to be from a snow plow? All the plows that I've seen, wedge or rotary, have all had very heavy frames. Boyd ddg14@attbi.com |
|
| Author: | J.T. Ciampaglia [ Sun Mar 23, 2003 10:52 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: What is it? A snow plow? |
Has it been thought that it may have been just a flanger? That's what it looks like to me, but it doesn't look like there's room between the two trucks. Who knows. jtjjtb@aol.com |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|