Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

2816 tomorrow
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6012
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Matt S [ Sun Jun 08, 2003 6:44 pm ]
Post subject:  2816 tomorrow

Ok, I have been planning on chasing the 2816 Monday from Toronto to Hamilton, but I forgot to find out where in Toronto the engine is leaving from, what yard? How hard is it to find the yard? Oh, and one other thing, how close is it to the engine at the CNE - I believe it is CN 6213, i was hoping to see that too, is it open to the public at all times. Does anyone know of any good photo spots along the line? Why is it taking 8 hours to travel from Toronto to Hamilton?
Thanks for any help

mstolzenfels@hotmail.com

Author:  Rob [ Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2816 tomorrow

> Ok, I have been planning on chasing the 2816
> Monday from Toronto to Hamilton, but I
> forgot to find out where in Toronto the
> engine is leaving from,

Its leaving from Union Station downtown. If you don't know Toronto, the station is at the corner of Bay and Front Street. However, your best bet to view the engine in that area would likely be from the foot bridge over the tracks next to SkyDome and Planet Hollywood.

> how close is it to the engine at the
> CNE - I believe it is CN 6213

Several blocks away.

> is it open to the public at
> all times.

Yes, but it may be difficult to get at this time of year. Although it is still a month away, the Molson Indy car race is being set up all around it.

> Why is it taking
> 8 hours to travel from Toronto to Hamilton?

Its not. A common misconception. The engine goes on display in Hamilton at 5:00. That doesn't mean it will be arriving in Hamilton at that time. I'm sure it will be their much earlier.

Author:  Kris [ Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2816 tomorrow

> Its not. A common misconception. The engine
> goes on display in Hamilton at 5:00. That
> doesn't mean it will be arriving in Hamilton
> at that time. I'm sure it will be their much
> earlier.

Also, she heated up a main out of Brandon. Thus bearing had to be changed overnight in Winnipeg. One day later the bearing overheated again, She is now running at a permanently restricted speed of 30 - 35 mph opposed to 55-60 mph.
Their leaving lots of time to get to where they want to go.

generalhummell@shaw.ca

Author:  Richard [ Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2816 tomorrow

I understood she was leaving from Agincourt and taking the Galt and Hamilton subs is this true?


nalee2@sympatico.ca

Author:  Rob [ Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:13 pm ]
Post subject:  I stand corrected!

Richard is correct. It is leaving from Agincourt yard, not Union station as I indicated before.

Author:  Richard [ Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: I stand corrected!

> Thanks Rob.
Which subs will she take as I plan to videotape tomorrow and have a spot picked out. Again thanks, Richard


nalee2@sympatico.ca

Author:  Rob [ Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: I stand corrected!

> Which subs will she take as I plan to
> videotape tomorrow and have a spot picked
> out.

I'm only making an educated guess here, but I'm assuming it will take the Bellville Sub to the North Toronto Sub, to the Galt Sub then head south on the Hamilton Sub at Guelph Junction.

Author:  Jason Whiteley [ Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:13 am ]
Post subject:  Just Left

I am told it has just left the Toronto yard and will be making a couple of stops en route to Hamilton for a 5 o'clock appearance. It is taking the Galt Sub. Good Luck and Good Hunting!

Author:  Richard [ Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: I stand corrected!

> Thanks for the correction. Also 2816 did take the route you mentioned. I did get to see her. Thanks again.


nalee2@sympatico.ca

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/