| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Old air whistle - non-RR https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6026 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Thomas Manz [ Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:51 am ] |
| Post subject: | Old air whistle - non-RR |
This list often sees discussion of air horns and whistles, so perhaps one of you can help. I have a building project for a new fire station where we have been asked to re-use the air whistle from the former building, circa 1920s. The data plate reads: FEDERAL AIR WHISTLE Model #1011 Serial #19811 60-120 PSIG. I initially thought the manufacturer might be the present-day Federal Signal, but they no longer make such devices. A Google search has found no other leads, and local compressed air reps are unable to help. I would like to know the whistle's air flow requirement in CFM. Does anyone have an old catalog or other source? Thanks! tr2manz@frontiernet.net |
|
| Author: | Allen [ Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:30 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Old air whistle - non-RR |
I > would like to know the whistle's air flow > requirement in CFM. Just a thought, but some dimensions might be more helpful than a part #. Also, the term "air whistle" is just a bit vague. Does it have a standard whistle design or is it actually a horn? |
|
| Author: | Thomas Manz [ Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:00 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Old air whistle - non-RR |
>...Does it have a standard whistle design or is it actually a horn? It has three horizontal trumpet-style "horns", rotated 120 degrees from each other. It has a 1.5" air inlet, which also gives a clue to the required air flow. I would like to find some old technical literature with exact specs, so I don't have to employ the SWAG method. tr2manz@frontiernet.net |
|
| Author: | Alexander D. Mitchell IV [ Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:40 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Horn & Whistle Group on YahooGroups |
There's a Horn and Whistle YahooGroup I would sign up for and inquire there--the e-mail is Horn_Whistle@yahoogroups.com, but first register at groups.yahoo.com . lner4472@bcpl.net |
|
| Author: | Thomas Manz [ Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:21 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Yahoo Group |
Thanks! I got my answer from those hornblowers. tr2manz@frontiernet.net |
|
| Author: | Allen [ Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:57 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Yahoo Group |
> Thanks! I got my answer from those > hornblowers. Now for the down side, you're in yahoo's database - I'll bet you'll have to change your email addys to get away from all the spam. |
|
| Author: | ge13031 [ Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:20 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Yahoo Group |
> Thanks! I got my answer from those > hornblowers. And those of us with nose problems are wishing to find out what you found out. Any details you wish to share ? lamontdc@adelphia.net |
|
| Author: | James Hefner [ Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:20 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Yahoo Group |
> Now for the down side, you're in yahoo's > database - I'll bet you'll have to change > your email addys to get away from all the > spam. You can/could sign up with a free Yahoo mail ID instead; although if your e-mail address has been on the net as long as mine; your address is already on everybody's list anyway. If you are only joining long enough to ask a question (as in this case), you can just stopping using it, and it will go away on it's own. -James Hefner Hebrews 10:20a Surviving World Steam Project james1@pernet.net |
|
| Author: | Thomas Manz [ Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:22 pm ] |
| Post subject: | The answer is... |
> And those of us with nose problems are > wishing to find out what you found out... Ah yes, Nostril-damus! Federal Signal does indeed still manufacture compressed air horns. Their tech rep is still searching for any archival information on my 75-year-old tooters. I will reveal all when they get back to me. tr2manz@frontiernet.net |
|
| Author: | ge13031 [ Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:31 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: The answer is... |
> Nostril-damus! Perfect fit and truer then you could ever imagine Thanks lamontdc@adelphia.net |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|