It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Old air whistle - non-RR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:51 am 

This list often sees discussion of air horns and whistles, so perhaps one of you can help. I have a building project for a new fire station where we have been asked to re-use the air whistle from the former building, circa 1920s. The data plate reads: FEDERAL AIR WHISTLE Model #1011 Serial #19811 60-120 PSIG.

I initially thought the manufacturer might be the present-day Federal Signal, but they no longer make such devices. A Google search has found no other leads, and local compressed air reps are unable to help. I would like to know the whistle's air flow requirement in CFM. Does anyone have an old catalog or other source?

Thanks!

tr2manz@frontiernet.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Old air whistle - non-RR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:30 am 

I
> would like to know the whistle's air flow
> requirement in CFM.

Just a thought, but some dimensions might be more helpful than a part #.

Also, the term "air whistle" is just a bit vague. Does it have a standard whistle design or is it actually a horn?


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Old air whistle - non-RR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:00 am 

>...Does it have a standard whistle design or is it actually a horn?

It has three horizontal trumpet-style "horns", rotated 120 degrees from each other. It has a 1.5" air inlet, which also gives a clue to the required air flow.

I would like to find some old technical literature with exact specs, so I don't have to employ the SWAG method.

tr2manz@frontiernet.net


  
 
 Post subject: Horn & Whistle Group on YahooGroups
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:40 pm 

There's a Horn and Whistle YahooGroup I would sign up for and inquire there--the e-mail is Horn_Whistle@yahoogroups.com, but first register at groups.yahoo.com .

lner4472@bcpl.net


  
 
 Post subject: Yahoo Group
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:21 pm 

Thanks! I got my answer from those hornblowers.

tr2manz@frontiernet.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yahoo Group
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:57 pm 

> Thanks! I got my answer from those
> hornblowers.

Now for the down side, you're in yahoo's database - I'll bet you'll have to change your email addys to get away from all the spam.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yahoo Group
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:20 pm 

> Thanks! I got my answer from those
> hornblowers.

And those of us with nose problems are wishing to find out what you found out.

Any details you wish to share ?

lamontdc@adelphia.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yahoo Group
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:20 am 

> Now for the down side, you're in yahoo's
> database - I'll bet you'll have to change
> your email addys to get away from all the
> spam.

You can/could sign up with a free Yahoo mail ID instead; although if your e-mail address has been on the net as long as mine; your address is already on everybody's list anyway.

If you are only joining long enough to ask a question (as in this case), you can just stopping using it, and it will go away on it's own.

-James Hefner
Hebrews 10:20a


Surviving World Steam Project
james1@pernet.net


  
 
 Post subject: The answer is...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:22 pm 

> And those of us with nose problems are
> wishing to find out what you found out...

Ah yes, Nostril-damus! Federal Signal does indeed still manufacture compressed air horns. Their tech rep is still searching for any archival information on my 75-year-old tooters. I will reveal all when they get back to me.


tr2manz@frontiernet.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: The answer is...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:31 pm 

> Nostril-damus!

Perfect fit and truer then you could ever imagine

Thanks

lamontdc@adelphia.net


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: