It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Bethleham turntables
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:57 am 

There were apparently two turntables in Bethleham, PA, one Reading and one CNJ, which eventually passed into the hands of Conrail (and now, I presume, NS). Do either still exist? If so, does anyone know if they are in use? Or their size? Thanks for any info.

Kevinmccabe@avenew.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bethleham turntables
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:37 am 

I know one of them was removed by the RCTHS for preservation, although they have not done anything with it.

> There were apparently two turntables in
> Bethleham, PA, one Reading and one CNJ,
> which eventually passed into the hands of
> Conrail (and now, I presume, NS). Do either
> still exist? If so, does anyone know if they
> are in use? Or their size? Thanks for any
> info.


edwhite0013@hotmail.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bethleham turntables *PIC*
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:09 am 

The Reading Company Technical & Historical Society removed the Saucon roundhouse turntable for future use at its museum site. The Saucon engine house facility was located on the border between Bethlehem and Hellertown PA. The turntable is currently stored on flat cars in Temple. The turntable is 100' long.

RCT&HS web site
Image
mtillger@enter.net


  
 
 Post subject: Bethlehem Area Turntables
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:57 pm 

Hi,

Here's the scoop as I know it:

CNJ Bethlehem Engine Terminal - gone, pit filled

RDG Saucon - bridge to Reading Tech & Historical Society

LNE Pen Argyl - bridge to be removed for preservation elsewhere (waiting for museum to announce)

CNJ Mauch Chunk (Jim Thorpe) - in place, motor inoperable

And I think that's it.

Rob

rdavis@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bethleham turntables
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:56 pm 

> There were apparently two turntables in
> Bethleham, PA, one Reading and one CNJ,
> which eventually passed into the hands of
> Conrail (and now, I presume, NS). Do either
> still exist? If so, does anyone know if they
> are in use? Or their size? Thanks for any
> info.
The CNJ turntable was cut up by Conrail in the late 1980's, I think. That was after one of the bigwigs learned that a coalition of historic groups wanted to turn the Bethlehem Engine Terminal into a museum, or at least a shop of some sort. Can't have any of THAT nonsense!

schwartzsj@juno.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bethlehem turntables *PIC*
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:41 pm 

I was especially sad to see the Saucon Yard facility go. Turntable, roundhouse and coaling tower, literally 50 yards from interstate 78. And it lasted into the 1990's. It would have been a great place for a tourist railroad to be based. Now, the yard is gone (one partially removed track remains), the powerhouse has been torn down, the coaling tower stands, the pit filled (luckily the bridge was saved) and the roundhouse is massively modified, but still standing.

*sigh*

I've attached a link of some pictures that I took around Bethlehem back in Feb of 2002.

And this picture shows that there are no more trains running South on the Bethlehem Branch.



Some pictures around Bethlehem
Image


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: