Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Bethleham turntables
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6048
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Kevin McCabe [ Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:57 am ]
Post subject:  Bethleham turntables

There were apparently two turntables in Bethleham, PA, one Reading and one CNJ, which eventually passed into the hands of Conrail (and now, I presume, NS). Do either still exist? If so, does anyone know if they are in use? Or their size? Thanks for any info.

Kevinmccabe@avenew.com

Author:  Ed White [ Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:37 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bethleham turntables

I know one of them was removed by the RCTHS for preservation, although they have not done anything with it.

> There were apparently two turntables in
> Bethleham, PA, one Reading and one CNJ,
> which eventually passed into the hands of
> Conrail (and now, I presume, NS). Do either
> still exist? If so, does anyone know if they
> are in use? Or their size? Thanks for any
> info.


edwhite0013@hotmail.com

Author:  Mike Tillger [ Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:09 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bethleham turntables *PIC*

The Reading Company Technical & Historical Society removed the Saucon roundhouse turntable for future use at its museum site. The Saucon engine house facility was located on the border between Bethlehem and Hellertown PA. The turntable is currently stored on flat cars in Temple. The turntable is 100' long.

RCT&HS web site
Image
mtillger@enter.net

Author:  Rob Davis [ Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Bethlehem Area Turntables

Hi,

Here's the scoop as I know it:

CNJ Bethlehem Engine Terminal - gone, pit filled

RDG Saucon - bridge to Reading Tech & Historical Society

LNE Pen Argyl - bridge to be removed for preservation elsewhere (waiting for museum to announce)

CNJ Mauch Chunk (Jim Thorpe) - in place, motor inoperable

And I think that's it.

Rob

rdavis@rypn.org

Author:  Steve Schwartz [ Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bethleham turntables

> There were apparently two turntables in
> Bethleham, PA, one Reading and one CNJ,
> which eventually passed into the hands of
> Conrail (and now, I presume, NS). Do either
> still exist? If so, does anyone know if they
> are in use? Or their size? Thanks for any
> info.
The CNJ turntable was cut up by Conrail in the late 1980's, I think. That was after one of the bigwigs learned that a coalition of historic groups wanted to turn the Bethlehem Engine Terminal into a museum, or at least a shop of some sort. Can't have any of THAT nonsense!

schwartzsj@juno.com

Author:  JimE [ Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bethlehem turntables *PIC*

I was especially sad to see the Saucon Yard facility go. Turntable, roundhouse and coaling tower, literally 50 yards from interstate 78. And it lasted into the 1990's. It would have been a great place for a tourist railroad to be based. Now, the yard is gone (one partially removed track remains), the powerhouse has been torn down, the coaling tower stands, the pit filled (luckily the bridge was saved) and the roundhouse is massively modified, but still standing.

*sigh*

I've attached a link of some pictures that I took around Bethlehem back in Feb of 2002.

And this picture shows that there are no more trains running South on the Bethlehem Branch.



Some pictures around Bethlehem
Image

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/