Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

steamtown
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6054
Page 1 of 1

Author:  alzubal [ Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:27 pm ]
Post subject:  steamtown

For those of you who might be interested Steamtown now has the fair rates for the trips to the water gap posted a $100 for adults and $75 for childern. Check out their web site for other pricing.

azubal@nycap.rr.com

Author:  Tim O [ Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: steamtown

> For those of you who might be interested
> Steamtown now has the fair rates for the
> trips to the water gap posted a $100 for
> adults and $75 for childern. Check out their
> web site for other pricing.
Tickets for all four excursions to Tobyhanna Pa, and all four trips on the Carbondale line go on sale on Sat June 14. Only one trip to DEWA, Aug 30, will be available for sale. The October trips will go on sale later. Call toll free 1888-693-9391 ext 5204 to reach the ticket booth.

http://www.nps.gov/stea/

Author:  Ted Lisle [ Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: steamtown

Is it just me or does this seem really expensive, especially since steam is only pulling the train one way?

tlrrman@unity.net

Author:  Rob Davis [ Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: steamtown

Which way will be steam? Up Devil's Hole (yay!) or down?

$100 is expensive, but not out of line. How do I mean? Well, I have no doubt that $100 a head is actually fair vs. costs and recovery. Insurance and other unavoidable expenses have made $100 trips more common.

#614 tickets were approaching $100 a few years back. Yes it was steam both ways, but in commuter cars, so maybe that evens out?

Steamtown will give you steam, vintage diesels and open window coaches. Not bad.

I'd compare the price to the other mainline steam excursions in the east this summer, but...

Rob

> Is it just me or does this seem really
> expensive, especially since steam is only
> pulling the train one way?


rdavis@rypn.org

Author:  Al Patterson [ Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: steamtown

Putting it in perspective, I paid $165 to ride the last weekend of 1522 trips in St Loius. It was closer to $1000 when you add the air fare, hotel, Etc. Etc. For me, Steamtown is a day trip. I may just see if I can get a ticket to one of these, although I went to Tobyhana behind 261 a few years back ...

> Which way will be steam? Up Devil's Hole
> (yay!) or down?

> $100 is expensive, but not out of line. How
> do I mean? Well, I have no doubt that $100 a
> head is actually fair vs. costs and
> recovery. Insurance and other unavoidable
> expenses have made $100 trips more common.

> #614 tickets were approaching $100 a few
> years back. Yes it was steam both ways, but
> in commuter cars, so maybe that evens out?

> Steamtown will give you steam, vintage
> diesels and open window coaches. Not bad.

> I'd compare the price to the other mainline
> steam excursions in the east this summer,
> but...

> Rob


acp19809@yahoo.com

Author:  Tim O [ Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: steamtown

This is also the First trip, steam or not, on the eastern part of the Poconos (at least east of Analomink, which only happened once, in 1997) since 1973. Rare mileage collectors should jump at this. The dynamic view of the train at Point of Gap is not to be missed, either. If one is to nit-pick every trip, no tickets would ever be bought, and no trains would run.

http://www.nps.gov/stea/

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/