Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Pop Up Ads?
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6111
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Tom Gears [ Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Pop Up Ads?

I have noticed that ads pop up while I am at RYPN? Has anyone else noticed these ads? Maybe it is something that my kids downloaded from another website causing it to happen?

Tom

Author:  Bennett Levin [ Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Pop Up Ads?

Got the first one ever today.

v-scarpitti@att.net

Author:  Scott Markloff [ Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Pop Up Ads?

> Got the first one ever today.
I haven't gotten from RYPN yet, but from plenty of other sites. We downloaded a free program called Spybot at spybot.com and it has filtered out most, but not all popups. Its a fairly easy program to setup and use. It was highly recommended to us. We're happy with it. I hope this helps someone out there
Scott

http://www.spybot.com
markloff@telus.net

Author:  Stephen Hussar [ Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Pop Up Ads?

If the pop-ups are 3" X 3" gray messenger boxes, and you use XP, you can block them by going into your settings. You may have unknowingly downloaded some spyware from some unscrupulous advertiser. The "Spybot" software works too.

SJHussar@aol.com

Author:  Erik Ledbetter [ Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Pop Up Ads?

I assure you RyPN is not selling advertising yet. Someone else you visited at some point is gracing you with these valuable offers.

eledbetter@rypn.org

Author:  George Kaplan [ Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Pop Up Ads?

Do we need to install Poppet stop-it valves on this Web site?

> I have noticed that ads pop up while I am at
> RYPN?

Author:  Al Patterson [ Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Pop Up Ads?

Well, I did install a pop-up stopper on my PC. Gets most of the pop ups. Now, if I could just get rid of all that pesky spam e-mail ...

> Do we need to install Poppet stop-it valves
> on this Web site?


acp19809@yahoo.com

Author:  CP O'Shea [ Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:39 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Pop Up Ads?

> I have noticed that ads pop up while I am at
> RYPN? Has anyone else noticed these ads?
> Maybe it is something that my kids
> downloaded from another website causing it
> to happen?

> Tom

Tom,

If there's spyware on your system, it could be triggering the popups. I use Lavasoft's (www.lavasoft.nu) Ad-Aware, and it roots out nearly all of the responsible components.

Be especially careful if your kids use an application such as Kazaa. Kazaa, even though the vendor claims otherwise, is LOADED with spyware...

Fiv4HghStk@aol.com

Author:  Bill Burns [ Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: spyware, AdAware, and Kazaa

> Be especially careful if your kids use an
> application such as Kazaa. Kazaa, even
> though the vendor claims otherwise, is
> LOADED with spyware...

Not only spyware. There are a host of viruses associated with Kazaa. Go to the Symantec (I suppose Norton's would have this too) site search engine, and put in the word "Kazaa", and there are hundreds of virus references in the results list!

For a bit of info on what programs have spyware, try checking out customer reviews at download.com, or another download site with customer reviews.

PS: don't be surprised if, upon using AdAware, or some other spyware remover, a program or 2 don't work. If you remove spyware that came with a program, removing that spyware often makes the program not work, until you reinstall the program - and the attendant spyware!

PPS: The file sharing program "winmx", which I use, is a substitute for Kazaa that is not known to have any spyware or viruses:

Winmx file sharing program
bilburns1313@tds.net

Author:  Ray Dewley [ Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Kazaa

Where I work, were told to make sure that Kazaa is not installed on out PCs as it allows outside control and acess.

Author:  Bill Burns [ Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Programs that allow outside control and access

> Where I work, were told to make sure that
> Kazaa is not installed on out PCs as it
> allows outside control and acess.

Most companies don't want file sharing programs of any kind on their computers at all, due to possible legal repercussions due to copyright issues with materials that people generally share with such programs.

I suppose by definition all file sharing programs allow outside access . I suppose most programs have an option to not share from any of your directories. The program I use has that option. With no directories of your's set to allow access, you'd be safe from THAT part of things. If a program is granting access to your computer maliciously, as opposed to just being part of file-sharing function, you likely can't turn that off without removing the offending program. For another computer to not only access, but to gain outside control seems a common enough problem, if you judge by how often Microsoft puts "critical updates" out for Windows 98 that are supposed to stop potentials of outside control!

bilburns1313@tds.net

Author:  Andy J [ Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Kazaa

Companies don't want people sharing music and other files sucking up all the companies bandwidth,and it takes time away from your job too!! I have used allot of the filesharing programs out their and kazza is one of the worst for spy wear,"Spy bot" is an incredible tool for use against spy wear I DID use lavasoft's "ad aware" for a long while but "spy bot" is better,it even cleans out tracking cookies!! I DO recomend SPY BOT HIGHLY,test for your self,scan with ad aware,than spybot, you WILL be surprised!!

I too share music online,and by its very nature YOU ARE ALLOWING,People to look into A FOLDER on your computer,your shared files folder!!if you do not want to share something ,don't put it into you shared files folder!!When you download MP3's on kazza,grokster,or any other sharing program,they are coming from other peoples shared files folder,so yes file sharing does allow people to see into computer,abet a very very tiny part of it.

Kazza and grokster[from personal experience] are covered in spy wear.I use Piolet,IMHO Piolet is far better than kazza,it is 100% de-centralized,i.e. it can NEVER BE SHUT DOWN!! It is strictly for music files only,so searches are faster,it uses a different transfer system than TCP/IP protocol,it uses UDP transport protocol,This is big advantage over TCP/IP for two very significant reasons. Firstly TCP/IP is reliable. This means that it is not anonymous. File sharing can be tracked and subsequently shut down by the-powers-that-be. This is not the case with UDP. Secondly UDP is faster than TCP/IP.and it is far faster than TCP/IP,big pulse if your on a 56k modem.

And lastly PIOLET HAS NO SPY WEAR!! just a small banner ad the runs only when you are using it,and if you have a firewall with and ad blocker,you will never see it! It does offer a "free gift" when you first download and install it,pay attention to the questions it asks you when you install it,you can opt out of the free gift!!!!

For those on a modem with windows XP their is a nearly worthless built in fire wall,if you would like to use piolet you must disable this worthless addition,I recomend zone alarm,the free version is far better than the built in firewall that comes with XP,if you want to know how to disable the firewall use the help feature,the info is their along with instructions on how to disable the thing

http://www.Piolet.com <-- the music sharing program,that is spywear less,and cannot be shut down

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp <--really good free firewall,in today's world,a darn near necessity

Piolet
SD45@CSX-SUCKS.com

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/