| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| CA&E 308 & 309 https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6190 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Charles [ Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:19 am ] |
| Post subject: | CA&E 308 & 309 |
Hi, I loved the brief on CA&E 308 & 309. They're great looking interurbans. I was just wondering. The upper sash was covered over during the modernization program. Do the arched windows with their stained glass still remain? Has anyone thought of removing the sash to expose the arch windows and the glass. Thanks again for the brief. I love to hear about trolley and interurban restorations. Charles bg23338@binghamton.edu |
|
| Author: | Randall Hicks [ Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:38 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: CA&E 308 & 309 |
> Hi, > I loved the brief on CA&E 308 & 309. > They're great looking interurbans. Thanks. > I was just wondering. The upper sash was > covered over during the modernization > program. Do the arched windows with their > stained glass still remain? Has anyone > thought of removing the sash to expose the > arch windows and the glass. The exterior arched windows were removed, and replaced by wood siding. Unfortunately we don't have any good patterns for the exterior arched windows, so replacing them would be problematic at best, and there are too many other changes that would be required, etc. So for the foreseeable future they'll remain in their 1940's configuration. The 309 was built with double sash, so the interior arched windows are still there. The 308 never had double sash; the wood that replaced the outer arched windows is covered up by the window shades. > Thanks again for the brief. I love to hear > about trolley and interurban restorations. > Charles |
|
| Author: | Glen Brewer [ Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:03 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: CA&E 308 & 309 |
It was a real shame that the CA&E covered those windows. They looked much better before. But there is a restoration: Car 320, in Iowa, has been restored with the upper sashes. Have a look at http://www.oldthreshers.org/index.cfm?f ... ilway.main http://www.oldthreshers.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=railway.main gbrewer@yahoo.com |
|
| Author: | Ted Miles [ Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:18 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: CA&E 308 & 309 |
Randall. I am also a fan of the Interurbans. Great looking railroad cars. Are you related to Frank Hicks from IRM, who also posts here? Ted Miles ted_miles@nps.gov |
|
| Author: | Randall Hicks [ Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:03 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: CA&E 308 & 309 |
> Randall. I am also a fan of the Interurbans. > Great looking railroad cars. > Are you related to Frank Hicks from IRM, who > also posts here? Only slightly. :> Actually, he's my son. Just to change the subject, I don't know how prevalent this is elsewhere, but there are several father-son teams at IRM. I can think of five others off hand, and I'm probably missing somebody. Let's hear from some others. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|