It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Alco FA still on SEPTA??????
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:47 am 

Saw the below message on railroad.net.

Is this true? An FA still on SEPTA? I'm guessing its been re-eingined or converted to a cab control car?

Recently learned that Septa has some odd diesels running around it system...some switchers, an Alco FA, an EMD cab unit (used on the Gel Train), and the RLWs mentioned here. Got a pic of the cab unit and one of the switchers at Frazer. Where's the best place/time to photo the RLWs...Wayne Jct?...When?
-Charlie

Posted 2/23/2003 8:53:00 PM PST

superheater@rrmail.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alco FA still on SEPTA??????
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:18 am 

Former LIRR FA being used on Gel trains.

glueck@maine.edu


  
 
 Post subject: Montreal FP7s?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:33 am 

In that vein, does anyone know what happened to the commuter FP7s formerly used in Montreal? I used to see them at St. Luc diesel shop, but this year I only see the occasional F40 or those bulbous nose things (F59?), as well as the GP9s that are used with generator cars on the south shore. I think the FP7s were former CP, and were in splendid condition last I saw.


http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cpsig/message/1319
ryarger@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Montreal FP7s? *PIC*
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:57 pm 

> In that vein, does anyone know what happened
> to the commuter FP7s formerly used in
> Montreal? I used to see them at St. Luc
> diesel shop, but this year I only see the
> occasional F40 or those bulbous nose things
> (F59?), as well as the GP9s that are used
> with generator cars on the south shore. I
> think the FP7s were former CP, and were in
> splendid condition last I saw.

Don't know what happened to them, but I did get some of them on video in 1987 in our "F-Units Winter in Canada" It was 25 below zero(no lie), and the tripod wouldn't pan, so after the 2nd bridge shot, I did the shots hand-held! Nice blue sky, but verrrryyyyy Coooollllldddd!!!

Ironically my dad had taken us to this same area in the summer of 59 or 60 and we watched the commuter trains with CPR steam roll by. I felt it was like that again in 1987 as we saw some of the last f-units in service for VIA in the east.

Greg Scholl

videos
Image
sales@gregschollvideo.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Montreal FP7s?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:33 pm 

> In that vein, does anyone know what happened
> to the commuter FP7s formerly used in
> Montreal? I used to see them at St. Luc
> diesel shop, but this year I only see the
> occasional F40 or those bulbous nose things
> (F59?), as well as the GP9s that are used
> with generator cars on the south shore. I
> think the FP7s were former CP, and were in
> splendid condition last I saw.

I recall reading somewhere that two were sold to a tourist operation in Michigan. One may have also gone to a museum.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Montreal FP7s?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:37 pm 

> In that vein, does anyone know what happened
> to the commuter FP7s formerly used in
> Montreal?

As of a few weeks ago, two of them (were there more?) were sitting on a siding alongside Coe Rail (the home of the Michigan Star Clipper Dinner Train) in Walled Lake, Michigan.

-fm


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Montreal FP7s?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:23 pm 

> Distribution of the retired AMT (Montreal) FP7A's is as follows:

#1300 (ex CP 4070) sold to Quebec Central Rly 2002
#1301 (ex CP 4071) sold to Trains Touristiques des Chaudieres-Appalaches (TTCH) in 2002
#1302 (ex CP 4072) sold to Quebec Central Rly 2002
#1303 (ex CP 4073) sold to TTCH in 2002
#1304 (ex CP 4074) sold to COE Rail in 2002
#1305 (ex CP 4075) sold to Quebec Central Rly 2002
#1306 (ex CP 4040) sold to COE Rail in 2002

Commuter trains are now operated with 5 leased ex AMT F40PH's, 4 GP9u's ex CN and 11 F59PHI's purchased new.

brspaul@sympatico.ca


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alco FA still on SEPTA??????
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:59 am 

> Saw the below message on railroad.net.

> Is this true? An FA still on SEPTA? I'm
> guessing its been re-eingined or converted
> to a cab control car?

In case anyone is still interested...

Yes there is an ALCO engine in use on SEPTA. It is usually in the yard just north of Wayne Junction. Anyone who takes the R-7 Chesnut Hill East line will pass very close to the yard. The last time I took that ride, the ALCO was sitting maybe 50 to 75 feet from the train as it passed.

If anyone is interested, you can see a lot of stuff on the R-7 and R-8 lines. The R-8 to Chesnut Hill West will take you through a stretch of old industrial Philadelphia. There's some sort of freight yard, not sure who owns it, AMTRACK/SEPTA's North Philadelphia Station, a PRR caboose that seems to be sitting in a park (it looks to be in good shape)and a ton of old spurs, sidings and factories. The two end of the line stations are not that far apart, so it is easy to walk over and then take the R-7 line back into center city Philadelphia. Or, you can stay on the R-7 and ride to Trenton, New Jersey.

Hope this is interesting.


bill@newearth.org


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: