| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| need more pennsylvania steam help https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6207 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Matt S [ Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:38 pm ] |
| Post subject: | need more pennsylvania steam help |
Ok, Thank you guys for all your help. I had to laugh reading all your responses. It seemed like every place mentioned I have already been there! I was just at Knoebels and the ashland coal museum last year. By the way I really highly reccomend the coal museum, not just for the train either. I have been to the East broad Top at least 5 times probably more, steamtown Ive been there at least 3 - so Im trying to look for some new stuff. I am now looking at going to the Wanamaker Kempton and Southern, New Hope, Strasburg, and maybe even over to the Middletown and Hummelston. I was really hoping for some tips on chasing these railroads. How many runs are needed for each line, are they easy to chase or are they in the middle of nowhere and hard to follow? Does anyone know where I can get some good maps of these lines, will terraserver work? How long are these lines? The Wanamaker is pretty short right, so - just my guess that it shouldn't be too hard to follow, Strasburg - from what i remember wasn't to bad but I was only like 7 the last time I was there. To be honest, I was hoping to cram most of these trips into 1 day, I know that sounds like a bad idea, but I have a very tight schedule and they look like they aren't too far. How much can I get in? thanks again for any help Matt mstolzenfels@hotmail.com |
|
| Author: | Allen [ Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:59 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: need more pennsylvania steam help |
Its rather far north, BUT the Knox & Kane does have that Chinese Mike, and the Kinzua viaduct is worth a gander even if they aren't currently allowed to run trains over it. If you're up that far anyway the Oil Museum in Bradford is rather different and IMO worth the low price of admittance. (The only trains are in pictures and a small model of the steam monorail, but there is still a cool if rather eclectic collection of miscellaneous artifacts) |
|
| Author: | Jeff Wienand [ Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:51 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: need more pennsylvania steam help |
> Ok, Thank you guys for all your help. I had > to laugh reading all your responses. It > seemed like every place mentioned I have > already been there! I was just at Knoebels > and the ashland coal museum last year. By > the way I really highly reccomend the coal > museum, not just for the train either. I > have been to the East broad Top at least 5 > times probably more, steamtown Ive been > there at least 3 - so Im trying to look for > some new stuff. > I am now looking at going to the Wanamaker > Kempton and Southern, New Hope, Strasburg, > and maybe even over to the Middletown and > Hummelston. I was really hoping for some > tips on chasing these railroads. How many > runs are needed for each line, are they easy > to chase or are they in the middle of > nowhere and hard to follow? Does anyone know > where I can get some good maps of these > lines, will terraserver work? How long are > these lines? The Wanamaker is pretty short > right, so - just my guess that it shouldn't > be too hard to follow, Strasburg - from what > i remember wasn't to bad but I was only like > 7 the last time I was there. To be honest, I > was hoping to cram most of these trips into > 1 day, I know that sounds like a bad idea, > but I have a very tight schedule and they > look like they aren't too far. How much can > I get in? > thanks again for any help > Matt HI For the Strasburg,you can get some really good shots of the steamers in action.If you turn left pulling out of the rr the first red light,turn left you will be at the red caboose.If you go farther east to the next road left,you can get excellant video as they come up the hill with great sound.Continue east again on 741,at the next road left,it will take you to Groffs grove where you can get the 2 steamers passing each other.Hope this helps. steamtrain90@aol.com |
|
| Author: | Kevin [ Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:58 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: need more pennsylvania steam help |
> Its rather far north, BUT the Knox & > Kane does have that Chinese Mike, and the > Kinzua viaduct is worth a gander even if > they aren't currently allowed to run trains > over it. Just curious...do u know if they are running the steam this yr with the bridge/wye being out of service? I presume it would be facing north if they are? Kevin k_gilliam@directvinternet.com |
|
| Author: | Howard P. [ Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:07 am ] |
| Post subject: | Hey Matt: |
> I was really hoping for some > tips on chasing these railroads. How many > runs are needed for each line, are they easy > to chase or are they in the middle of > nowhere and hard to follow? I sure hope you're planning to BUY a ticket at the lines you are planning to chase; they can't stay in business without the ticket revenue. It's not as expensive as you might think to "pay and chase" (cheaper than doing that on a mainline $90 trip), it gives you a good feeling (that you're contributing to the "cause"), and helps the railroad, too. Howard P. (Former chaser and current tourist railroader. Or is that "former foamer"?) |
|
| Author: | Alan Maples [ Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:04 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Knox & Kane |
Knox & Kane is not running steam. From their web page: Q: Is it a steam engine? A: As long as the bridge is closed we will not be running the steam engine because we have no way of turning the engine around. Our turn around is on the other side of the bridge. It is much to hard to run a steam engine backward for any distance. Call to see if any Special Steam Trips are scheduled. Knox & Kane Railroad AMaples@aol.com |
|
| Author: | buddy bob [ Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:23 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Hey Matt: |
> I sure hope you're planning to BUY a ticket > at the lines you are planning to chase; they > can't stay in business without the ticket > revenue. It's not as expensive as you might > think to "pay and chase" (cheaper > than doing that on a mainline $90 trip), it > gives you a good feeling (that you're > contributing to the "cause"), and > helps the railroad, too. > Howard P. > (Former chaser and current tourist > railroader. Or is that "former > foamer"?) NO howard you are still a foamer. with a bad case of throttle feaver. regards bob |
|
| Author: | Matt S [ Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:39 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Hey Matt: |
I always do that, at the very least I donate the price ticket, most often it is more. Im only 20 years old, I want these things to be around for a while yet. pLus I like to keep the ticket stub as a souvineer. mstolzenfels@hotmail.com |
|
| Author: | Howard P. [ Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:12 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Hey Matt: |
> I always do that, at the very least I donate > the price ticket, most often it is more. Im > only 20 years old, I want these things to be > around for a while yet. pLus I like to keep > the ticket stub as a souvineer. Right on, Matt!! (that's 60s talk, young fella!) |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|