It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: W.J. Smith No. 7
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:35 pm 

I think I've asked this before, but what happened to this little 2-6-0 in Alabama? Last I knew, it was under repair for potential operation.

http://donross.railspot.com/dr0402/js104.jpg
ryarger@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: Re: W.J. Smith No. 7
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:31 am 

> I think I've asked this before, but what
> happened to this little 2-6-0 in Alabama?
> Last I knew, it was under repair for
> potential operation.

It is now owned by Kershaw Manufacturing of Montgomery, AL. A recent photo of it can be seen at the URL below. I believe this is one of the locomotive projects that Gary Bensman was working on at one time (Diversified Rail Services). Dunno much more than that.

John Gramling who restored Flagg Coal No. 75, and who has contributed over 100 photos to steamlocomotive.info visited the site and took the photo. I'll give him a call tomorrow and see what he knows.

Regards,
Doug


W.T. Smith Lumber Co. No. 7
dougb@sunserver.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: W.J. Smith No. 7
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:51 am 

I have been largely in and around and through this poor old girl for the past couple months, working on the Form 4 and repair specifications to bring her back to service. DRS had done some previous work but the project had been stalled for several years. She is still housed (in kit form) at the Kershaw plant off Fairview Road.

If anybody knows where the injectors and governor went, please let me know. Have found most of the other components.

Dave

irondave@bellsouth.net


  
 
 Post subject: W.J. Smith or W.T. Smith?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:42 pm 

I seem to remember that the locomotive was owned by W.T. Smith Lumber Company, or at least that is how I remember reading it in the L&RP profile a number of years ago.

By the way Dave, what is the condition of that L&N coach that is behind the locomotive? It was originally owned by the Lexington and Eastern. Does it look restoreable?

david.wilkins@inisightbb.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: W.J. Smith or W.T. Smith?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:45 pm 

Actually, it was the actor Will Smith of Wild Wild West fame.

The business car is also partly restored and plans are to finish restoring it eventually for captive service also. It is a wooden heavyweight with many interesting features.

Dave

irondave@bellsouth.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: W.J. Smith or W.T. Smith?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:27 pm 

W. T. Smith is correct. If anyone is interested in the history of company itself, the family that once controlled it commissioned a book three years ago, titled "The W. T. Lumber Co.: A Chronicle," by John Appleyard. Where and how it can be obtained seems rather mysterious, but anyone interested might contact Norman Floyd McGowin, Jr., P.O.Box 35, Chapman, AL 36015.

Herb Harwood

I seem to remember that the locomotive was
> owned by W.T. Smith Lumber Company, or at
> least that is how I remember reading it in
> the L&RP profile a number of years ago.

> By the way Dave, what is the condition of
> that L&N coach that is behind the
> locomotive? It was originally owned by the
> Lexington and Eastern. Does it look
> restoreable?


herbhar@yahoo.com


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: