Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

W.J. Smith No. 7
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6216
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Bob Yarger [ Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:35 pm ]
Post subject:  W.J. Smith No. 7

I think I've asked this before, but what happened to this little 2-6-0 in Alabama? Last I knew, it was under repair for potential operation.

http://donross.railspot.com/dr0402/js104.jpg
ryarger@rypn.org

Author:  Doug Bailey [ Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:31 am ]
Post subject:  Re: W.J. Smith No. 7

> I think I've asked this before, but what
> happened to this little 2-6-0 in Alabama?
> Last I knew, it was under repair for
> potential operation.

It is now owned by Kershaw Manufacturing of Montgomery, AL. A recent photo of it can be seen at the URL below. I believe this is one of the locomotive projects that Gary Bensman was working on at one time (Diversified Rail Services). Dunno much more than that.

John Gramling who restored Flagg Coal No. 75, and who has contributed over 100 photos to steamlocomotive.info visited the site and took the photo. I'll give him a call tomorrow and see what he knows.

Regards,
Doug


W.T. Smith Lumber Co. No. 7
dougb@sunserver.com

Author:  dave [ Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: W.J. Smith No. 7

I have been largely in and around and through this poor old girl for the past couple months, working on the Form 4 and repair specifications to bring her back to service. DRS had done some previous work but the project had been stalled for several years. She is still housed (in kit form) at the Kershaw plant off Fairview Road.

If anybody knows where the injectors and governor went, please let me know. Have found most of the other components.

Dave

irondave@bellsouth.net

Author:  David M. Wilkins [ Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:42 pm ]
Post subject:  W.J. Smith or W.T. Smith?

I seem to remember that the locomotive was owned by W.T. Smith Lumber Company, or at least that is how I remember reading it in the L&RP profile a number of years ago.

By the way Dave, what is the condition of that L&N coach that is behind the locomotive? It was originally owned by the Lexington and Eastern. Does it look restoreable?

david.wilkins@inisightbb.com

Author:  dave [ Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: W.J. Smith or W.T. Smith?

Actually, it was the actor Will Smith of Wild Wild West fame.

The business car is also partly restored and plans are to finish restoring it eventually for captive service also. It is a wooden heavyweight with many interesting features.

Dave

irondave@bellsouth.net

Author:  Herb Harwood [ Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: W.J. Smith or W.T. Smith?

W. T. Smith is correct. If anyone is interested in the history of company itself, the family that once controlled it commissioned a book three years ago, titled "The W. T. Lumber Co.: A Chronicle," by John Appleyard. Where and how it can be obtained seems rather mysterious, but anyone interested might contact Norman Floyd McGowin, Jr., P.O.Box 35, Chapman, AL 36015.

Herb Harwood

I seem to remember that the locomotive was
> owned by W.T. Smith Lumber Company, or at
> least that is how I remember reading it in
> the L&RP profile a number of years ago.

> By the way Dave, what is the condition of
> that L&N coach that is behind the
> locomotive? It was originally owned by the
> Lexington and Eastern. Does it look
> restoreable?


herbhar@yahoo.com

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/