It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Question about VIA Rail's GE P42s
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:01 am 

I am a railfan, but I am a model railroader as well in N-scale. And I know this is a board for Railway Preservation and so probably not the best place to pose this question and I apologize, I am very much interested in preserving equipment and I would prefer to see a steam engine over a diesel any day of the week. I have just purchased a pair of GE P42s painted for VIA and I have looked for webpages with photos and information about the trains that VIA uses the prototypes on, so far I am having little success except that I have only found P42 photos on trains with old LRC passenger cars, I am surprised that VIA has not used them on The Canadian. I guess unlike Amtrak, VIA is in no hurry to get rid of their F40s. I am trying to be as prototypical as possible, but LRC coaches are not available in N-scale and I don't have the skills yet to scratchbuild a set. I was hoping that someone might be able to confirm how VIA uses their P42s. I'm from SC and have not been to Canada or seen VIAs operation, my knowledge is mainly through hearing others talk about their trips to Canada and watching various videos and reading articles in magazines and online. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

stiggy_26@hotmail.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Question about VIA Rail's GE P42s
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:00 am 

Here's what the Candian Government press release said about their use at the time they were delivered:

"New locomotives: The new Genesis (P42) locomotive is the first of 21 new high-speed locomotives VIA has purchased from GE Transportation Systems. The locomotives combine the latest in advanced technology, safety systems, and proven reliability. Capable of speeds up to 110 mph or 177km/hr, they will be used to replace VIA's LRC locomotives, and to expand services in the Quebec City-Windsor Corridor. The locomotives represent an $80 million investment and represent a 60% improvement in emissions as compared to the high-speed locomotives they will replace."

eledbetter@rypn.org


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: