Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

new SteamCentral format
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6290
Page 1 of 1

Author:  dave [ Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:15 pm ]
Post subject:  new SteamCentral format

John has revamped his site with news items posted on the front page, well worth checking out what with one of Jim Wrinn's crystal balls prominently offered and some good information about how D&SNGRR is reacting to a downturn in traffic.

An optional registering for an account is provided, which doesn't seem to work. I am told to fill in fields which don't appear. Wassup John?

dave

irondave@bellsouth.net

Author:  Ron Muldowney [ Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: new SteamCentral format

Dave, I tried to register yesterday with the same problem. I followed all of the directions to set up an account and I am hitting a dead end. Hope that John can give us some better directions. Ron



steamfan@crusoe.net

Author:  John Craft [ Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: new SteamCentral format

> An optional registering for an account is
> provided, which doesn't seem to work. I am
> told to fill in fields which don't appear.
> Wassup John?

You got me, Dave - almost 100 people have registered so far. The worst I've seen is the occasional problem with a browser handling spaces, and a couple of people have waited too long to activate their new account (the pending registration dies after 24 hours unless you activate it).

Right now, if you're not submitting (links, images, stories, schedules, whatever), there's really no big reason to register. But send me an email with some details on what's happening so I can look into it.

JAC

Author:  dave [ Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: new SteamCentral format

Speaking of which John, I looked in vain for a clickable link that said something like CONTACT JOHN HERE but none were found either.

Essentially, I lost your email with my hard drive crash a few weeks back, don't have a convenient link to you again. Hence this public forum.

What happened was, the page loaded without any fields on it to fill in, but containing instructions to fill them in. A submit button was visible. Also strident demands not to use pseudonyms, El Vac.

Dave



irondave@bellsouth.net

Author:  Richard Jenkins [ Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: new SteamCentral format

The first time I tried to open an account, I never got the confirmation e-mail. I tried again using a different e-mail address and had no problem that time. I thought the confirmation e-mail from the first try might have been zapped by my spam filter, but when I got it at the second address, I didn't see anything in the e-mail that would have caused that to happen.

rjenkins@railfan.net

Author:  John Craft [ Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: new SteamCentral format

> What happened was, the page loaded without
> any fields on it to fill in, but containing
> instructions to fill them in. A submit
> button was visible. Also strident demands
> not to use pseudonyms, El Vac.

It sounds like your browser simply didn't create the black lines around the input boxes. (Come to think of it, white-on-white might be an issue - I'll look into it.)

I created your account. Check your email.

JAC

Author:  Dave Albright [ Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A thought...

I had problems at first too. My problem was I kept putting a password in the box. You can't do that. It will generate one for you via your email. Then you can change it later. Hope this helps.

Author:  dave [ Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: new SteamCentral format

> It sounds like your browser simply didn't
> create the black lines around the input
> boxes. (Come to think of it, white-on-white
> might be an issue - I'll look into it.)

> I created your account. Check your email.

> JAC

Thanks John - I have Netscape 1.1.

Dave


irondave@bellsouth.net

Author:  Don Wirth [ Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A thought...

I tried to find a way to e-mail you John to tell you that some dates were wrong, also tried to set up an account in order to communicate, but never got the confirmation e-mail either. Finally just gave up on it.

frisco1522@earthlink.net

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/