| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Pets on trains? https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6292 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Matt Conrad [ Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:37 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Pets on trains? |
Just been thinking about pets aboard trains. SCRM has no formal policy on this -- it's generally left up to the con on a case-by-case basis. I usually allow dogs (it's always been a dog) when I'm skipper as long as the animal seems to be well behaved. But then, I'm a dog lover anyway. So far, we've never had any "accidents" on board, nor have we had any incidents. What are y'all's opiions? The South Carolina Railroad Museum mconrad@compuzone.net |
|
| Author: | dave [ Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:26 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Pets on trains? |
First time some child bites that dog you will be in for a lawsuit as well as picketing by the ASPCA. Or is it the other way around? Dave irondave@bellsouth.net |
|
| Author: | ge13031 [ Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:35 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Pets on trains? |
> First time some child bites that dog you > will be in for a lawsuit as well as > picketing by the ASPCA. Or is it the other > way around? > Dave The only dog that I ever had on a train was a young pup in training as a seeing eye dog. The lady asked permission before she even bought a ticket. We OK'd the four legged well behaved traveler to ride at no fare and there were no problems. Wish some of the kids were as well behaved! lamontdc@adelphia.net |
|
| Author: | L Beckman [ Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:13 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Pets on trains? |
> The only dog that I ever had on a train was > a young pup in training as a seeing eye dog. > The lady asked permission before she even > bought a ticket. We OK'd the four legged > well behaved traveler to ride at no fare and > there were no problems. Wish some of the > kids were as well behaved! We too raised a black labrador puppy (Katy)last year for the Leader Dog for the Blind organization and rode two lines; Ohio Central and Kentucky Railway Museum. OC was very nice and even allowed our own Scottish Terrier to ride. KRM allowed Katy to ride but, unlike OC, we found our party in a seperate coach away from the other passengers. At our museum, we have on occassion, allowed dogs to ride our caboose if passenger traffic is light and the dog seemed well behaved. In fact, a German Shepherd rode our 4:00 p.m. train last Saturday. Les Beckman (Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum/North Judson, Indiana) midlandblb@cs.com |
|
| Author: | o anderson [ Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:31 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Pets on trains? |
Seems that 4 western museums are listed on Dog Friendly dot com. Might be worth an organizations time to expand their ridership base if they are in fact dog friendly. V&T RR is Dog Friendly |
|
| Author: | Brian Norden [ Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:56 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Pets on trains? |
At Orange Empire we often allow dogs to ride along with their people. When I'm on the operating crew I will say something about hope the dog doesn't get excited. And I've never had a problem. I have seen guide and service dogs in training visiting the museum; in fact saw one last weekend. Once I was told that we were on a list of places to take such animals. A railroad museum would be a different kind of place for such animals; after all there are all sorts of people and different noises and smells around the railroad. During busy special events, the rule is no animals on board the trains. Brian Norden bnorden49@earthlink.net |
|
| Author: | Superheater [ Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:09 am ] |
| Post subject: | Not all animals are Pets-ADA Compliance |
> You'd be well advised to handle the issue of animals on a case-by-case basis and contact a lawyer but I think "public accomodations" are required to make "reasonable accomodation" for ADA (Americansw/ Disabiloities Act) covered individuals and allowing service animals- is a "reasonable accomodation". As a general rule "seeing eye dogs" are specially selected and trained and unbelievably well-behaved and disciplined-the folks that train them are really talented. No need to give the parasites in the tort bar any more $$. Superheater@rrmail.com |
|
| Author: | Alan Walker [ Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:15 am ] |
| Post subject: | Pets and Service Animals |
At the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum, train passengers are permitted to bring pets on board as long as the animal's owners look after its needs and it does not disturb other passengers on board. As conductor, the only times that I have had animals on board were on local trains, not Downtown or Georgia trains and we have never had any problems related with animals on board to my knowledge. As for service animals, the federal government and many states have laws on the books that require businesses to accomodate certified service animals on their premises, regardless of policies regarding domesticated animals (pets). Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, we must accomodate certified service animals in passenger coaches. awalker2002@comcast.net |
|
| Author: | dan [ Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:42 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Pets on trains? |
At SVRy we leave it up to the conductor. I look the dog over (haven't had a cat come on board yet) and if time allows, show the animal the back of my hand to see if he will allow me to pet him or her. I require the animal to be on a short leash at all times. If the dog seems in any way unfriendly I ask the passengers to not bring it on board. ADA animals are always welcome. dan http://www.svry.com svry@pacifier.com |
|
| Author: | Karl Johnson [ Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:06 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Pets on trains? |
It certainly is a consideration. My family, when traveling, we usually take our dog with us. I can never be sure if a museum will accomidate us or not. I can understand an umbrella policy regarding dogs, one certainly does not wish either a child being bitten or a dog fight (niether of which I've recently witnessed, although i was bitten as a kid). I walk my dog with other's every day. "Most" dog owner's I think are pretty responsable, but as usual, it takes one bad incident to make people change there minds. It would be nice if the museums posted some message if they are "dog friendly. I would think it would boost ridership, not by much, but certainly a small percentage. Guide dogs and service dogs, of course, must be accomidated (along with thier people!). Sincerely Karl Johnson karl_johnson@ci.sf.ca.us |
|
| Author: | Jack [ Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:05 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Pets on trains? |
Here at the East Troy Electric Railroad, absolutely not unless it is a service dog. You have to remember in these days of litigation and allergies to almost everything, it's not worth the hassle. Think of the other passengers. We had an incident where a woman was dog phobic and almost fainted when observing a small dog riding on another person's lap. And we had a dog snap at a youngster one time, even tho being assured that "he's really friendly." Hence the current policy. East Troy Electric Railroad jftrolley@aol.com |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|