| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Valhalla, NY Passenger Car Question https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6298 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Rob Davis [ Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:08 am ] |
| Post subject: | Valhalla, NY Passenger Car Question |
Hi, I rode by the Valhalla, NY (Westchester County) depot this morning. It is now a restaurant. I understand from what I have found online the caboose there is B&O #C250. Anyone know the history of the (wood?) passenger car? TIA, Rob |
|
| Author: | Hal Reiser [ Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:34 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Valhalla, NY Passenger Car Question |
> Hi, > I rode by the Valhalla, NY (Westchester > County) depot this morning. It is now a > restaurant. I understand from what I have > found online the caboose there is B&O > #C250. > Anyone know the history of the (wood?) > passenger car? > TIA, > Rob The only information I have on the car was when it was first moved to the site in the early 1970's it was lettered for Lake Shore Michigan and Southern. I am not sure if that lettering was correct. Hal Reiser Hal2415@aol.com |
|
| Author: | Howard P. [ Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:31 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Valhalla, NY Passenger Car Question |
> The only information I have on the car was > when it was first moved to the site in the > early 1970's it was lettered for Lake Shore > Michigan and Southern. I am not sure if that > lettering was correct. > Hal Reiser This car was at Harmon about 1970, in NYC work-train Jade Green. It has a rear platform with the old-style offset single large window and door on one side of the end. I recall that it was possibly a 1902-era Century obs, and had come from work train service somewhere west of Buffalo. It seemed pretty decent at that time, and I supposed it was "going to some museum". The railroad restaurant opened about 1972. An RMNE member from Ossining, Bill Losee (who is quite an authority on NYC passenger cars) was involved in the initial placement and restoration of the car. That work was quite accurately done, both interior and exterior. If Bill had it lettered LS&MS, then it probably was, originally. The station had numerous artifacts displayed; the first time I was there, I was quite impressed with a large (6'x8' at least) board, much like an old station arrival/departure board. It was the dispatch board from Harmon roundhouse, and it had headings like "boiler wash", "staybolt test", "air test", "fire cleaning", and so forth. I could just imagine the numbers that had been chalked on that board.... 5200s, 5400s, 6000s, all the famed NYC steam passenger power. The next visit, the place had been "remodelled". The obs car interior had been "rearranged", and the dispatch board was cut down to a 1/4 size. hpincus@mindspring.com |
|
| Author: | Phil Mulligan [ Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:14 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Valhalla, NY and the Official Guide |
I always liked the paragraph in the NYC pages of the Official Guide that you had to get permission from the baggagemaster at Grand Central Terminal to check remains to Valhalla. Electric City Trolley Museum Association |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|