| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| No iron horses on the iron horse trail https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6337 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Bob Yarger [ Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:05 am ] |
| Post subject: | No iron horses on the iron horse trail |
From Altamont Press: Residents make it emphatic that a rail-trail may not be reused for light rail. Perhaps they should rename it the Yuppies in Spandex Trail? Or likewise if used by snowmobiles in the north country, the Inibreated Red Necks on Dangerous Noisemakers Trail? http://www.railroadnews.net/news/7-18.html ryarger@rypn.org |
|
| Author: | Steve C [ Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:17 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: No iron horses on the iron horse trail |
> Or likewise > if used by snowmobiles in the north country, > the Inibreated Red Necks on Dangerous > Noisemakers Trail? Bob, every winter I put many miles on my snowmobile up in Northern Wisconsin on old rail grades. While I may regret that the rails are gone, I am glad that the grades are at least available for trails. I NEVER ride "inibreated" and I only have one red and black flanel shirt. Most of the riders I come across also feel the same way I do. Steve lead_sled7@hotmail.com |
|
| Author: | Bob Yarger [ Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:27 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: No iron horses on the iron horse trail |
I'm certain there are responsible snowmobilers, but I've seen plenty who aren't, like the one Amtrak killed on our line last winter while he was riding in a blinding snowstorm. The blizzard was so bad, he didn't know if he was on the rails or not, and of course he had no business riding on RR property at all anyway. Luckily, I haven't been on a train that mangled one yet, but I know it's just a matter of time. As someone who has had to work out in the cold for the last 25 years, I can't imagine why any sane person would want to be out there when he didn't have to be. My chief gripe with trails people, whether spandex-clad yuppies or the previously described snowmobilers (two groups who couldn't be much further apart in character) is that they often feel the right of way is only there for their amusement. When the rails are long removed, I have no problem with trail conversion, and think it's a good idea. I even have a rusty 10-speed I still like to ride. When the rails are still there, however, they should be left intact for future use. I've been to several meetings over the years in Vermont, where trails advocates actively sought the destruction of trackage that others wanted to operate trains on. Some of it has come back to life, some of it remains in limbo and some was ripped up. One person I know has spent great wads of money trying to reinstitute freight and passenger service on one of the lines, but has been thwarted by the state snowmobile group at every turn, who feel their hobby is more important than having an effective transportation system that could materially reduce damage to state roadways and save local business owners in transportation costs. Some groups, like those on the Adirondack Scenic and the state lines in New Hampshire, have reached a truce, where passenger service can operate in warm weather and snowmobiles in winter. In Vermont, so far, it's been all or nothing attitude, however, and the snow machine people want it all. ryarger@rypn.org |
|
| Author: | Roger Colton [ Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:05 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: No iron horses on the iron horse trail |
> From Altamont Press: Residents make it > emphatic that a rail-trail may not be reused > for light rail. Perhaps they should rename > it the Yuppies in Spandex Trail? Or likewise > if used by snowmobiles in the north country, > the Inibreated Red Necks on Dangerous > Noisemakers Trail? Once upon a time, as a plan this may have made sense, but not today. When the SP abandoned the San Ramon Branch, there was a full width right of way in place for most of the line from Avon in the north to Radum in the south. Sad to say that is not the case now. City streets and other encroachments have reduced the width to that barely usable for a bike trail. And unless there is some incredible upswing in the local economy, I do not see a realistic need for rail transit down the San Ramon Valley from Walnut Creek to Dublin anytime soon. The real issue here is not the NIMBY. It's the fantasies of transit planners looking to keep themselves employed by running bogus studies and alarming the property owners. teamzurg@earthlink.net |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|