Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

CPR 1098, Streetville, 1959
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6373
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Bob Yarger [ Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:37 am ]
Post subject:  CPR 1098, Streetville, 1959

Canadian Pacific 4-6-0 1098 doubleheaded at Streetville, Ontario, 7/19/59. I'm guessing it might have been an excursion.

http://gelwood.railfan.net/cp/cp-s1098s.jpg
ryarger@rypn.org

Author:  Bob Yarger [ Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:39 am ]
Post subject:  Last Month

Apparently taken last month, still stored at Jim Thorpe, PA.

http://gelwood.railfan.net/cp/cp-s1098afh.jpg
ryarger@rypn.org

Author:  R.L.Kennedy [ Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Last Month

> Apparently taken last month, still stored at
> Jim Thorpe, PA.

Sad sight. Previous photo was NRHS excursion that used 3 sets of doubleheaders. I was there.


Old Time Trains
oldtimetrains@rrmail.com

Author:  Dave Crosby [ Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Restoration Attempt

Hello All

Not trying to step on any toes, but wasn't there a group that was trying to get it back in service maybe a year or so ago, working in conjunction with George Hart's Rail Tours Inc.? I vaguely remember hearing about it, and prior to that the group was going to work with Steamtown on something but it fell through, or was it the CP Hudson that they were involved with. I hate short term memory loss...

Dave Crosby

bing@epix.net

Author:  K.R. Bell [ Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Restoration Attempt

Yes there was. A new group of experienced steam mechanics (not affiliated with the group to which David refers) who worked on the engine briefly in the mid- to late-1990s are once again embarking on repairing the engine and making it serviceable in the near future. Stay tuned.

> Hello All

> Not trying to step on any toes, but wasn't
> there a group that was trying to get it back
> in service maybe a year or so ago, working
> in conjunction with George Hart's Rail Tours
> Inc.? I vaguely remember hearing about it,
> and prior to that the group was going to
> work with Steamtown on something but it fell
> through, or was it the CP Hudson that they
> were involved with. I hate short term memory
> loss...

> Dave Crosby


http://rrmuseumpa.org

Author:  Dave Crosby [ Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Another Q for you Kurt...

OK, another in my short term memory loss chapters...

Did I hear that the tender that wound up behind this engine was actually from the CN, like perhaps they got swapped sometime in Bellows Falls?

I know I'm out on a limb on this one.

Dave Crosby

bing@epix.net

Author:  Howard P. [ Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:45 pm ]
Post subject:  1098 tender

> OK, another in my short term memory loss
> chapters...

> Did I hear that the tender that wound up
> behind this engine was actually from the CN,
> like perhaps they got swapped sometime in
> Bellows Falls?

That's the right CPR tender on 1098. Same as what was behind 972.

hpincus@mindspring.com

Author:  K.R. Bell [ Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:16 pm ]
Post subject:  1098 Miscellany

Howie's correct--1098's current tender is the same one it came with from the CPR, and is identical to 972's.

A few additional 1098 facts for the hard-core historians: George Hart purchased 1098 from the Steamtown Foundation in 1986, at least a year BEFORE the auction. It was one of 200 engines set aside by the CPR in its subsidized steam locomotive retirement program in 1960. Hart's 972 (a CPR D10j 4-6-0) went to Strasburg for repairs in December 1986 and Hart desired another engine in 972's absence, hence the acquisition of 1098. 1098 was a low mileage engine shopped at West Montreal in 1957, and briefly served in stationary steam service in 1959. Nelson Blount bought 1098 in 1961 and never operated at Steamtown during its years in Vermont and in Scranton. Work on the D10h began in 1988. The engine only ran for three weekends in October 1993 and due to various reasons of which I won't delve into on this board, the engine required additional work for continued reliable operation. It was stored serviceable until 1996 when a renewed effort to repair the engine using different mechanics began. The engine was test-fired in October 1996 and after more work, again in October 1998. The goal was to have 1098 operable for Rail Tours' busy Fall Foliage trips but for various reasons this goal could not be met in a timely manner. Recent events have made the 1098's return to service even more urgent. Stay tuned to the continuing saga of the 1098--may the echo the steam whistle once again resonate through Panther Valley.

> OK, another in my short term memory loss
> chapters...

> Did I hear that the tender that wound up
> behind this engine was actually from the CN,
> like perhaps they got swapped sometime in
> Bellows Falls?

> I know I'm out on a limb on this one.

> Dave Crosby

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/