Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

WalMart to replace LNE shops
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6422
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Rob Davis [ Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:35 am ]
Post subject:  WalMart to replace LNE shops

There is a rumor floating around the anthraciterr Yahoo Group that the LNE yard site in Pen Argyl, PA (which as we have noted here includes the huge pre-WW1 shop, roundhouse and turntable) is to become yet another WalMart.

I am not going to flame-out on WalMart. You can e-mail me directly for that. ;-)

What I am interested in is confrimation or denial of the story.

Anyone have the details?

I also know that the turntable was to be removed and preserved in PA, but that apparently hasn't happened yet. Any word?

Rob

rdavis@rypn.org

Author:  Gerald W. Kopiasz [ Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: WalMart to replace LNE shops

If that's the case, better notify the railfans immediately so they can get photographs before it is demolished then collectively spend enough money modeling the site in HO and N scales that could have gone to doing something with the actual site itself.

Gerald W. Kopiasz

> There is a rumor floating around the
> anthraciterr Yahoo Group that the LNE yard
> site in Pen Argyl, PA (which as we have
> noted here includes the huge pre-WW1 shop,
> roundhouse and turntable) is to become yet
> another WalMart.

> I am not going to flame-out on WalMart. You
> can e-mail me directly for that. ;-)

> What I am interested in is confrimation or
> denial of the story.

> Anyone have the details?

> I also know that the turntable was to be
> removed and preserved in PA, but that
> apparently hasn't happened yet. Any word?

> Rob


hrrhs@aol.com

Author:  Tim Stuy [ Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: WalMart to replace LNE shops

While I don't doubt that the L&NE facilities are endangered, I do not believe it is because of a Wal Mart. There is a Wal Mart in Wind Gap (about 4 miles away). It would seem unlikely they would build another store that close.

Author:  Superheater [ Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: WalMart to replace LNE shops

> While I don't doubt that the L&NE
> facilities are endangered, I do not believe
> it is because of a Wal Mart. There is a Wal
> Mart in Wind Gap (about 4 miles away). It
> would seem unlikely they would build another
> store that close.

They have 4 and two supercenters at that between Hazleton and Scranton- I think Pittston and W-B are about 6-7 miles apart.

superheater@rrmail.com

Author:  Scott Cessna [ Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: WalMart to replace LNE shops

I am aware of plans to sell the property for some sort of a shopping complex. I do not know that it is a Wal Mart but simply that a shopping center will be built there. I have examined the turntable and it is mostly intact but still partially buried. The owner excavated enough of it for myself and my crew to examine it and come to a decision about our interest in it. We are going back up in a few weeks with a gentleman who would be the one to lift it for us in preparation for moving it. It is our intention to have this table installed in Altoona in front of the quarter roundhouse now in the design phase. The property in Pen Argyle most likely be razed sometime in the next 12-18 months.

Scott Cessna
Railroaders Memorial Museum

> There is a rumor floating around the
> anthraciterr Yahoo Group that the LNE yard
> site in Pen Argyl, PA (which as we have
> noted here includes the huge pre-WW1 shop,
> roundhouse and turntable) is to become yet
> another WalMart.

> I am not going to flame-out on WalMart. You
> can e-mail me directly for that. ;-)

> What I am interested in is confrimation or
> denial of the story.

> Anyone have the details?

> I also know that the turntable was to be
> removed and preserved in PA, but that
> apparently hasn't happened yet. Any word?

> Rob


Railroaders Memorial Museum
director@railroadcity.com

Author:  Scot Lawrence [ Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: WalMart to replace LNE shops

> While I don't doubt that the L&NE
> facilities are endangered, I do not believe
> it is because of a Wal Mart. There is a Wal
> Mart in Wind Gap (about 4 miles away). It
> would seem unlikely they would build another
> store that close.

never underestimate Walmart! ;)
and the huge need for "convenience" of lazy people..4 miles is a LONG way to drive! ;)

We have a Walmart in one of the Suburbs up here (Brockport, NY)..just a regular, normal, evil Walmart, same as all the others..
but now they "NEED" to build a brand new, SUPER Walmart ONE mile away from the current one! in a currently empty field, then just abandon the old store..grrrr...I really hate Walmart!

Scot

sscotsman@yahoo.com

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/