Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

EJ&E 765
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6499
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Bob Yarger [ Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:36 am ]
Post subject:  EJ&E 765

Taken at Porter, Indiana in 1933. On display now at Gary, Indiana.

http://abpr2.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?january03/01-07-03/ej+e765.jpg
ryarger@rypn.org

Author:  o anderson [ Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: EJ&E 765

> Taken at Porter, Indiana in 1933. On display
> now at Gary, Indiana.
This nicely-proportioned pacific was considered for an addition to the IRM collection while it was in badly-maintained condition. The city fathers addressed its issue with the "A" snow coming out of it by hiring an unsympathetic contractor to clean it up. Many pipes and parts were torched off and disposed of, leavinging in a less-than pristine remnant of a locomotive that the town had invested a bunch into for keeping it around. Expect it to stay in Gary for a pretty long time.

Author:  John Bohon [ Sat Aug 02, 2003 7:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: EJ&E 765

I saw this engine back in 1989 and it looked pretty bad. Before I read your post I was going to ask if anything positive had happened in the last 13 years. I am sorry to hear it has been butchered. It is truely a nicely proportioned locomotive but I recall it being a mike instead of a pacific and the picture seems to bear that out. Either wheel arrangement it deserves a better fate.

jhbohon@yahoo.com

Author:  Bob Yarger [ Sat Aug 02, 2003 7:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: EJ&E 765

The engine is a Mikado, built by Baldwin in 1929. Between 1948 and 1962 it was leased to the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range and used in northern Minnesota. EJ&E and DM&IR (as well as B&LE and Union RR) were owned by U.S. Steel and occasionally swapped power, both steam and diesel.

ryarger@rypn.org

Author:  John Bohon [ Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: EJ&E 765

Thanks. I have only been to the EJ&E once on bussiness and could not spend much time looking around. Like all Bethleham roads it was very interesting but I hated the orange diesels. Are there any other surviving EJ&E steam locomotives?

jhbohon@yahoo.com

Author:  L Beckman [ Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: EJ&E 765/NOT Bethlehem!

> Thanks. I have only been to the EJ&E
> once on bussiness and could not spend much
> time looking around. Like all Bethleham
> roads it was very interesting but I hated
> the orange diesels. Are there any other
> surviving EJ&E steam locomotives?

John: PLEASE! U.S. Steel, NOT Bethlehem Steel!! As for the solid orange diesels, the "J" at one time had orange and green diesels (including Baldwin Sharks!) and have had a number of "standardized" paint schemes through the years including solid green and solid brown, besides the orange paint.

Les Beckman (Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum/North Judson, Indiana); and a retired U.S.S. employee!

midlandblb@cs.com

Author:  John Bohon [ Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: EJ&E 765/NOT Bethlehem!

> John: PLEASE! U.S. Steel, NOT Bethlehem
> Steel!! As for the solid orange diesels, the
> "J" at one time had orange and
> green diesels (including Baldwin Sharks!)
> and have had a number of
> "standardized" paint schemes
> through the years including solid green and
> solid brown, besides the orange paint.

> Les Beckman (Hoosier Valley Railroad

> Museum/North Judson, Indiana); and a retired
> U.S.S. employee!

My brain must be on the blink again. Having been to several U.S.S. mills as well as their railroads it is the only possible explaination for such a mistake. I had seen photos of some of the other paint schemes and was quite disappointed by the orange paint. To make matters worse our Pee Dee River division locomotives are now also painted orange. In case you have not guessed I do not like orange, especially on locomotives.

Sorry,
John Bohon


jhbohon@yahoo.com

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/