Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

PRR 6167
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6784
Page 1 of 1

Author:  R.L.Kennedy [ Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:23 pm ]
Post subject:  PRR 6167

What was the wheel arrangement, builder, construction number and date of this engine?
Thanks for any help. Link not related.


Old Time Trains
oldtimetrains@rrmail.com

Author:  Dan Rohrback [ Mon Sep 01, 2003 12:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: PRR 6167

> What was the wheel arrangement, builder,
> construction number and date of this engine?
> Thanks for any help. Link not related.

I'm afraid I wasn't real sure if your request request refers to either a steam engine or a diesel. If a diesel, then PRR #6167 was a SD45 built in 1966. Photo from the George Elwood 'Fallen Flags' site. I'm still researching the question of what PRR steam locomotives might have carried that number; As I understand the matter, the PRR was notorious for renumbering steam locomotives, and the road numbers were very often not grouped according to class or type.

PRR SD45 #6167
dan-ohrback@cox.net

Author:  R.L.Kennedy [ Mon Sep 01, 2003 12:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: PRR 6167

I am assuming steam because what I am looking at is a large keystone shaped number board.

> I'm afraid I wasn't real sure if your
> request request refers to either a steam
> engine or a diesel. If a diesel, then PRR
> #6167 was a SD45 built in 1966. Photo from
> the George Elwood 'Fallen Flags' site. I'm
> still researching the question of what PRR
> steam locomotives might have carried that
> number; As I understand the matter, the PRR
> was notorious for renumbering steam
> locomotives, and the road numbers were very
> often not grouped according to class or
> type.


Old Time Trains
oldtimetrains@rrmail.com

Author:  Dan Rohrback [ Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: PRR 6167

> I am assuming steam because what I am
> looking at is a large keystone shaped number
> board.

In that case, it might have been PRR class J1a 2-10-4, which means it was built by Lima in 1942. I couldn't find an online photo of #6167, but here's a link to a photo of #6170. Photo by Otto Perry, 1953 at Horseshoe Curve, from the collection of the Denver Public Library.

PRR 2-10-4 #6170
dan-rohrback@cox.net

Author:  Richard [ Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: PRR 6167

> I am assuming steam because what I am
> looking at is a large keystone shaped number
> board.

Mr. Kennedy, it is soooooo lucky that you posted here! These old Keystone number plates are very unlucky to have. Better box it up, pad it well, insure it and send it to me right away. We'll both sleep better at night! :-)


glueck@maine.edu

Author:  R.L.Kennedy [ Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: PRR 6167

> Mr. Kennedy, it is soooooo lucky that you
> posted here! These old Keystone number
> plates are very unlucky to have. Better box
> it up, pad it well, insure it and send it to
> me right away. We'll both sleep better at
> night! :-)

Ha Ha funny man!

Not mine, it's in an estate sale. (if interested e-mail me an offer oldtimetrains at rrmail.com)

Likely bought because of its number re: CNR 6167 famous excursion engine.



Old Time Trains
oldtimetrains@rrmail.com

Author:  Dave Stephenson [ Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: PRR 6167

I believe 6167 was an early J1, not a J1a. They came along a bit later. The numbering system gets confusing because both the J1 and J1a had numbers in the high and low 6100's and 6400's. I don't know if I have enough detailed info to straighten this out to the exact four number blocks for all 125.

Author:  Dave Stephenson [ Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: PRR 6167

The J1 and J1a were visually identical for the most part. I've seen no consistent spotting feature to identify one from the other except for road numbers. The J1's were 6150-6175 and 6435-6474. The J1a's were 6400-6434 and 6475-6500. Some J1's had fabricated bar frames and some had cast frames. All J1a's had cast frames and cylinders. Have no info on construction numbers.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/