It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: TRAIN convention next month?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:40 pm 

Just signed up (barely in time for the discount fee) for the '03 TRAIN convention next month in Huntington. SCRM's President and I are going to be attending the seminars on Friday. Planning to skip the Thomas/Cuba seminars last thing Friday then drive over to Durbin to ride the Salamander on Saturday and the Rocket on Sunday. I could only get off work on Thurs and Fri so the other activities at the convention are out. We'd hoped to get there by train, but that just didn't work out so we're driving and riding the Durbin & Greenbrier's stuff instead.

I've never been to a TRAIN convention before, and neither has Howard. What can we expect? Anybody from the Interchange going to be there?

The South Carolina Railroad Museum
mconrad@copuzone.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: TRAIN convention next month?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:02 pm 

We'll be there for the 11th time with bells on. E-mail (or call) me back - for some reason your mail server is on the blink and rejected a direct mail.

Randy Gustafson
Stone Consulting
814-726-9870

randygustafson@stoneconsulting.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: TRAIN convention next month?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:01 pm 

I will see you too. Expect a lot of networking, the chance to pick brains from all over the country, good information, getting up close and personal with vendors of many things you can use to your benefit, many you can't.

There isn't a lot of railfanning among the group once the seminars and meetings start. Most who want to do that do the pre or post convention stuff. I would estimate that those attending are overwhelmingly seriously involved in the business of tourist railroad operation rather than hobbyists, whether they are volunteers or paid.

Dave



irondave@bellsouth.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: TRAIN convention next month?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:24 am 

> There isn't a lot of railfanning among the
> group once the seminars and meetings start.
> Most who want to do that do the pre or post
> convention stuff. I would estimate that
> those attending are overwhelmingly seriously
> involved in the business of tourist railroad
> operation rather than hobbyists, whether
> they are volunteers or paid.

Excellent! Looking forward to it! One of our other members went to a couple ARM conventions and was singularly unimpressed. He said ARM seemed extremely cliquish. I hope TRAIN isn't like that.

I think my home ISP has used one of those skanky blacklists in their spam filters. I can't email myself from work, either. I've about had it with Compuzone, so when my account runs out around the first of the year I'll probably be switching to someone else. I look at the Interchange at work anyway (faster connection), so I've switched the address above to my work address.

The South Carolina Railroad Museum
mconrad@msmgmt.com


  
 
 Post subject: TRAIN convention - Huntington again!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:28 pm 

Anybody from the Interchange going to be there?
My wife Karen and I will be there. The last convention in Huntington back in 1990 was my first TRAIN convention. It was great meeting these people I had only read about previously. There are some who play the insider/outsider game, but the majority are down to earth good people. Don Maxwell and his crew are great hosts! I agree with Iron Dave; most attendees take their railroading seriously and conduct themselves professionally.

Martyhuck@aol.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: TRAIN convention next month?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:40 pm 

A few of us railroad guys in the southeast are doing OK with bellsouth.net, and you can get a high speed hookup. I don't have one, why have data come in faster than my computer can digest it?

I have never found TRAIN cliquish, but it can be a bit difficult I suppose to be new if you don't know anybody. I will warn everybody about you so they will be prepared .

Actually, pleased to introduce you around a bit. SCRM may be maturing nicely.

Dave

irondave@bellsouth.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: TRAIN convention - Huntington again!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:09 pm 

> Anybody from the Interchange going to be
> there?
> My wife Karen and I will be there. The last
> convention in Huntington back in 1990 was my
> first TRAIN convention. It was great meeting
> these people I had only read about
> previously. There are some who play the
> insider/outsider game, but the majority are
> down to earth good people. Don Maxwell and
> his crew are great hosts! I agree with Iron
> Dave; most attendees take their railroading
> seriously and conduct themselves
> professionally.
Hi I would like to go to. where can I get details. Or better yet why not post info here. for all to see. cu rob

tubeit2002@yahoo.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: TRAIN convention - Huntington again!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:48 pm 

> Hi I would like to go to. where can I get
> details. Or better yet why not post info
> here. for all to see. cu rob

Look here...

http://www.traininc.org/

Whitewater Valley Railroad
lumpy72@msn.com


  
 
 Post subject: The Strasburg Rail Road will be there....
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:10 am 

...as we are every year, displaying our wares, and looking forward to talking with everyone about your projects, and our services.

See you there!

Strasburg Rail Road
kelly@strasburgrailroad.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: TRAIN convention next month?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:01 pm 

> I have never found TRAIN cliquish, but it
> can be a bit difficult I suppose to be new
> if you don't know anybody. I will warn
> everybody about you so they will be prepared.

> Actually, pleased to introduce you around a
> bit. SCRM may be maturing nicely.

It ain't me you've got to warn people about. Getting into a conversation with Howard can be like falling into a black hole! :o) He's a good guy, though.

The South Carolina Railroad Museum
mconrad@msmgmt.com


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: