Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

sad 6039
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7143
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Bob Yarger [ Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:21 pm ]
Post subject:  sad 6039

GTW 4-8-2 photographed in the waning days of Steamtown in Vermont. Engine was last used on the CV out of St. Albans, leased from the Grand Trunk Western.

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo=200310091652542330.jpg&bydate%3A6
ryarger@rypn.org

Author:  Bob Yarger [ Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:51 pm ]
Post subject:  GTW in Iowa

Another GTW loco, now in Iowa, presumably one of the IRM 0-8-0s from Galt, Illinois. Which one is this and when was it sent here?

http://http://community.webshots.com/photo/60222666/94129529lfJJck
ryarger@rypn.org

Author:  Joshua K. Blay [ Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:11 pm ]
Post subject:  FIXED LINK

> Another GTW loco, now in Iowa, presumably
> one of the IRM 0-8-0s from Galt, Illinois.
> Which one is this and when was it sent here?

One too many https.....

FIXED LINK to GTW 0-8-0
joshua@joshuakblay.com

Author:  L Beckman [ Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: FIXED LINK

> One too many https.....

I believe that the last three IRM 0-8-0's at Galt were 8300, 8305 and 8374. This could be the 8300 (the first GTW 0-8-0). The 8300 had only one sand dome, whereas the other ex-GTW 0-8-0's at Northwestern Steel & Wire all had two. In this photo you can't tell for sure as the rear sand dome could be hidden by the cab. Anyone have a different shot?

Les Beckman (HVRM)

midlandblb@cs.com

Author:  Richard Jenkins [ Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: FIXED LINK *PIC*

This is the 8300, the other two are still in Galt. Looks like she cleaned up very nicely too! Here's a shot of her in Galt 5 years ago...

Image
rjenkins@railfan.net

Author:  Tim O [ Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: sad 6039

> GTW 4-8-2 photographed in the waning days of
> Steamtown in Vermont. Engine was last used
> on the CV out of St. Albans, leased from the
> Grand Trunk Western.
I'm told she has a badly cracked cylinder saddle, and to recast this piece would be an astronomical cost. How does a part like this crack? Did it happen when in service, or did condensed steam( water) freeze in the part, while on display? You don't hear this as a common affliction on steam engines, so I wondered how this engine acquired the problem.

http://www.nps.gov/stea/

Author:  Steve Zuiderveen [ Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: sad 6039 *PIC*

The cylinder was cracked in service, and I understand the repair was made while on lease to the CV at the end of its career. The repair did not "take". I believe the old Steamtown Foundation has some original documentation as to this in its files.

Steve Zuiderveen

> I'm told she has a badly cracked cylinder
> saddle, and to recast this piece would be an
> astronomical cost. How does a part like this
> crack? Did it happen when in service, or did
> condensed steam( water) freeze in the part,
> while on display? You don't hear this as a
> common affliction on steam engines, so I
> wondered how this engine acquired the
> problem.


Image
SZuidervee@aol.com

Author:  rob [ Sun Oct 12, 2003 12:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: sad 6039

> The cylinder was cracked in service, and I
> understand the repair was made while on
> lease to the CV at the end of its career.
> The repair did not "take". I
> believe the old Steamtown Foundation has
> some original documentation as to this in
> its files.

> Steve Zuiderveen
I heard that the 6039 took a dive into a turn table pit. also the cyls are cast iron not steel. The fix was braze not weld. I think the best fix would be to fab. new cyls. of steel if the loco was to run again. I have some details of fabed cyls. giving the man hours and # of welding rod, its high but the cost was less than casting not counting the pattern cost. regards rob

Author:  Richard [ Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Nelson Blount's Collection

Which then asks the question, why did Nelson Blount save this particular locomotive? Either it was the last available of it's kind, or the fault was unknown? It would be great to see her fired up again, and I don't think it is a long shot to speculate that Nelson's long range desire included operating as many of his locomotives as possible. When the Museum was still located in Vermont, the plans included a raoundhouse with all manner of locos hot and available for service. How Nelson went about acquiring his collection is a mystery to me, but I think it really just was that he heard of a few engines located someplace and went after them. I don't understand why he didn't go after the C&O locos in Russell, Kty., or any of the last PRR steam of 1960. He did manage to spare N&W 1218. I understand the need for a US National Park to narrow it's collection to US locomotives, but it is really quite sad to see one man's personal collection scatterd to the wind. Hopefully the disbursement will allow many more of the engines to see restoration at some point in their lives.


glueck@maine.edu

Author:  Erik Ledbetter [ Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: sad 6039

> I'm told she has a badly cracked cylinder
> saddle... You don't hear this as a
> common affliction on steam engines, so I
> wondered how this engine acquired the
> problem.

My impression is that though not an everyday event, cracked cylinder saddle castings were not uncommon either; wreck damage was the usual cause. To name two other extant engines with the same problem, there's the Austin Steam Train's Espee mike, and the GM decapod on static display in Winder GA.

Repairs were tricky becuase of the high carbon content of the casting steel. Perhaps the most common solution was to have a new casting made. Otherwise one could try to weld the casting, and then anneal the weld by heating the entire casting to a high temperature for a good period. Maybe someone with a stronger background in metallugy than me can chime in to elaborate.

A Trolley Treasure
eledbetter@rypn.org

Author:  rob [ Sun Oct 12, 2003 9:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: sad 6039

> My impression is that though not an everyday
> event, cracked cylinder saddle castings were
> not uncommon either; wreck damage was the
> usual cause. To name two other extant
> engines with the same problem, there's the
> Austin Steam Train's Espee mike, and the GM
> decapod on static display in Winder GA.

> Repairs were tricky becuase of the high
> carbon content of the casting steel. Perhaps
> the most common solution was to have a new
> casting made. Otherwise one could try to
> weld the casting, and then anneal the weld
> by heating the entire casting to a high
> temperature for a good period. Maybe someone
> with a stronger background in metallugy than
> me can chime in to elaborate.
I think you mist the point the cyls. were I think cast iron not steel . It is not practical to weld ci. in fact the repairs were brazed. Some time when I get back to st. I will test the cyls. to be sure. btw. The first CNR 4-8-4 had c.i. cyls. Then had cast steel cyls.bolted to frames then latter on one piece cast steel cyls & frames. I think this was so they didnot have to pay the high duty on imported loco parts from the U>S>A>. btw I have welded on some cast loco frames and cyls. they were the poorest grade material I have ever welded. voids, sand, slag etc. regards rob.

tubeit2002@yahoo.com

Author:  dave [ Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: sad 6039

And both Old Maud's and GN 107. In all these cases, the cracked cylinders were bored out, banded with steel rings sweated on the ends, and sleeved with pressed-in iron liners. Holes were then drilled and tapped in through the walls, bronze plugs screwed in, and the whole rig bored out. I wonder if this was a Southern technique, or used all over? 107 had a safety valve installed in the front cylinder head to limit pressure in the cylinder also.

Dave

irondave@bellsouth.net

Author:  Phil Mulligan [ Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:25 am ]
Post subject:  Not so sad 6039

6039 is currently on display at Steamtown's parking lot in decent paint but it needs a number plate under the headlight.

Electric City Trolley Museum Association

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/