It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Frisco 1529
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:47 am 

From Flimsies: Newspiece on Frisco 1529 in a Mississippi park. How is it doing today? I believe the Frisco wisely removed lagging from boilers and reapplied the jacket (I've heard some got a new galvanized jacket) over new spacers made of strap steel, before donation. Did they do this to all the display engines they donated?

http://www.djournal.com/pages/story.asp?ID=42913&pub=3&div=News
ryarger@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frisco 1529
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:18 pm 

> From Flimsies: Newspiece on Frisco 1529 in a
> Mississippi park. How is it doing today? I
> believe the Frisco wisely removed lagging
> from boilers and reapplied the jacket (I've
> heard some got a new galvanized jacket) over
> new spacers made of strap steel, before
> donation. Did they do this to all the
> display engines they donated?

I know the 1527 and 1522 were prepared that way.
They were both prepared at St. Louis. When we rebuilt the 1522 at the Museum of Transportation, the boiler had been painted and was in excellent shape after 20+ years outside.
The spacers had been welded to the boiler shell and every one of those welds had to be checked. None of them had damaged the shell.
I have a feeling that all the locomotives on exhibit were prepared that way.

j.nansen@worldnet.att.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frisco 1529 and Mike 1352
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 12:03 am 

> I know the 1527 and 1522 were prepared that
> way.
> They were both prepared at St. Louis. When
> we rebuilt the 1522 at the Museum of
> Transportation, the boiler had been painted
> and was in excellent shape after 20+ years
> outside.
> The spacers had been welded to the boiler
> shell and every one of those welds had to be
> checked. None of them had damaged the shell.
> I have a feeling that all the locomotives on
> exhibit were prepared that way.

Anybody here from the group that worked on SLSF 2-8-2 #1352 that can confirm that that engine was also so prepared? BTW, the Mikado was last reported in Taylorsville, Illinois and the project to restore it was dead. Can anyone confirm that and have any idea as to ewhat is going to happen to the locomotive?

Les Beckman (HVRM)

midlandblb@cs.com


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: