Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Odd Milwaukee critter
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7187
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Bob Yarger [ Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Odd Milwaukee critter

RR museums have more than their share of odd industrial locomotives, but I haven't seen one like this yet. Apparently a shop switcher on the Milwaukee Road.

http://abpr.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?march03/03-30-03/cmst+p5801G.jpg
ryarger@rypn.org

Author:  Ed Fritz [ Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Odd Milwaukee critter

> RR museums have more than their share of odd
> industrial locomotives, but I haven't seen
> one like this yet. Apparently a shop
> switcher on the Milwaukee Road.

I'm pretty sure its a center cab Whitcomb of pre-1930 design. Mr. Jay Reed's "Critters, Dinkys and Centercabs" has nothing like it, but picture on the top of page 169 has the dimond name plate just like this engine.

Ed

ff1044@aol.com

Author:  Thomas Manz [ Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Odd Milwaukee critter

> I'm pretty sure its a center cab Whitcomb of
> pre-1930 design...

It is an early Whitcomb, and was not a shop switcher, but was used in general switching service. I believe the MILW sold this one and a sister unit to the US Navy in 1942. Anyone know more?

tr2manz@frontiernet.net

Author:  ge13031 [ Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: a little more

MILW 80GE 90T #5801, Chicago Il 1935 300hp, bn50005 1930 rblt 1941 #1801

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/diesel102.html

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/milw5801.j
lamontdc@adelphia.net

Author:  Gerald W. Kopiasz [ Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: a little more

When was it scrapped?

Thanks,
Gerald W. Kopiasz

> MILW 80GE 90T #5801, Chicago Il 1935 300hp,
> bn50005 1930 rblt 1941 #1801

>
> http://www.northeast.railfan.net/diesel102.html


Heartland Railroad Historical Society
hrrhs@aol.com

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/