It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: L&N U-25 1616 Parts Donor
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:15 am 

I heard, via a co-worker, that L&N 1616 gave up some parts to keep another locomotive running.

Question: Wasn't that unit "preserved" in the B&O
Museum ?

locoeng@verizon.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: L&N U-25 1616 Parts Donor
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:37 pm 

I don't know the hows, whens and whys but...

From Baltimore it went to TVRM at Chattanooga.

From what I have been able to find on the net, its currently at RMDI in Pittson, PA.

Joshua

Homepage
joshua@joshuakblay.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: L&N U-25 1616 Parts Donor
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:24 pm 

Hello All

I'm not sure of the background of the unit or anything like that, but I believe the main Generator from that engine is now in the DL's ex EL C425 #2461.

Dave Crosby

bing@epix.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: L&N U-25 1616 Parts Donor
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:53 am 

From what I understand, the L&N U25 was owned by the B&O Museum for a number of years. Several years ago, it was loaned to TVRM for static display. The L&N historical society made a donation, and TVRM repainted the locomotive into its L&N Confederate Gray and yellow scheme. B&O decided to sell the locomotive a few years ago, and I don't know what happened as far as it not going to a museum. I don't know if TVRM didn't want it, or B&O failed to offer it to other museums. Anyway, it is out of preservation now, and evidently become a parts source. Gee, wish we knew B&O was going to sell it! We wouldn't have bought another locomotive, but would have rather bought a real L&N locomotive

david.wilkins@bardstown.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: L&N U-25 1616 Parts Donor
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:34 am 

Gee, I guess that it goes to show you that the word "preservation" is relative.

> From what I understand, the L&N U25 was
> owned by the B&O Museum for a number of
> years. Several years ago, it was loaned to
> TVRM for static display. The L&N
> historical society made a donation, and TVRM
> repainted the locomotive into its L&N
> Confederate Gray and yellow scheme. B&O
> decided to sell the locomotive a few years
> ago, and I don't know what happened as far
> as it not going to a museum. I don't know if
> TVRM didn't want it, or B&O failed to
> offer it to other museums. Anyway, it is out
> of preservation now, and evidently become a
> parts source. Gee, wish we knew B&O was
> going to sell it! We wouldn't have bought
> another locomotive, but would have rather
> bought a real L&N locomotive


locoeng@verizon.net


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: