Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Leadville
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7351
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Jim Adams [ Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Leadville

I just read the information on the tourist train that runs on the old Climax line and was suprised
that there was no mention of the C&S 641 that was
he last regularly scheduled standard gauge steam locomotive in operation in the US.
I rode the engine and made pictures and sound tape
back in the 60s and had visited her where she was on display in the middle 1990s so I was puzzled when she was not mentioned. Did I miss something??

Jim

rrfanjim@mvn.net

Author:  George Jenista [ Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Leadville

> I just read the information on the tourist
> train that runs on the old Climax line and
> was suprised
> that there was no mention of the C&S 641
> that was
> he last regularly scheduled standard gauge
> steam locomotive in operation in the US.
> Did I miss something??

Clarify the context of your information? Was it gleaned from the RR's website? A book was put out about LC&S, giving an encapsulated milepost description and quick history of the line, which included some treatment of 641 and her service life.

The owners had intentions of restoring 641 to operation; a non-profit support foundation to facilitate fundraising existed for a short time. Further activity concerning 641, however, hasn't been noted for several years.

hi_plain@yahoo.com

Author:  Jiom Adams [ Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Leadville

> Clarify the context of your information? Was
> it gleaned from the RR's website? A book was
> put out about LC&S, giving an
> encapsulated milepost description and quick
> history of the line, which included some
> treatment of 641 and her service life.

> The owners had intentions of restoring 641
> to operation; a non-profit support
> foundation to facilitate fundraising existed
> for a short time. Further activity
> concerning 641, however, hasn't been noted
> for several years.

George; Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Truth of the matter is I have been busy, like
"Busy" in handling a flooded Bath Room !
I'm not sure where it was but I clicked on a link to the Leadville Colorado and Southern and on
their site they show pictures of the Leadville Depot, both inside and outside but no mention is made of the 641 which stood outside not far from
the NE corner of the depot and I did not see it in their pictures.
I have a special interest in that engine as I rode it on one of its last trips before the miner's strike that ended its career.
The fireman and I took turns firing and after jumping my turn and putting in two consecutive fires, I found that at that altitude, every other fire was a real good arrangement.
Jim


rrfanjim@mvn.net

Author:  Dan Decker [ Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Leadville

> George; Sorry it took me so long to get back
> to you. Truth of the matter is I have been
> busy, like
> "Busy" in handling a flooded Bath
> Room !
> I'm not sure where it was but I clicked on a
> link to the Leadville Colorado and Southern
> and on
> their site they show pictures of the
> Leadville Depot, both inside and outside but
> no mention is made of the 641 which stood
> outside not far from
> the NE corner of the depot and I did not see
> it in their pictures.
> I have a special interest in that engine as
> I rode it on one of its last trips before
> the miner's strike that ended its career.
> The fireman and I took turns firing and
> after jumping my turn and putting in two
> consecutive fires, I found that at that
> altitude, every other fire was a real good
> arrangement.
> Jim
I was just in Leadville in August of this year and the 641 is sitting just outside the depot looking to be in good shape and cared for. Didn't ask if there were any plans to put it back into service.

Dan Decker
Wichita, KS

wichita_rails@msn.com

Author:  George Jenista [ Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:35 am ]
Post subject:  C&S 641 at Leadville

> I was just in Leadville in August of this
> year and the 641 is sitting just outside the
> depot looking to be in good shape and cared
> for. Didn't ask if there were any plans to
> put it back into service.

Much of 641's recent history surrounded its ownership status. I'm uncertain whether 641 was acquired by LC&S, or the City of Leadville retained title. I do recall the City placed a proviso that 641 stay in Leadville; therefore, the only possible operating venue would be on the LC&S.

It being readily apparent that an operational restoration never materialized, it would seem that LC&S/Leadville satisfied themselves to cosmetically maintain the engine. I speculate that the above-mentioned proviso likely explains why 641 wasn't tapped as a candidate for operation on the Canon city & Royal Gorge excursion down the valley.

hi_plain@yahoo.com

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/