Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Anyone have a photo of this engine?
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7450
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Bob Yarger [ Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Anyone have a photo of this engine?

A Davenport 0-4-0T at West Liberty, Iowa.

http://test.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=1470
ryarger@rypn.org

Author:  Bob Yarger [ Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Or this engine?

Another Davenport 0-4-0T at Fredonia, Kansas.


http://test.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=5319
ryarger@rypn.org

Author:  Bob Yarger [ Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Or this engine?

Another Davenport 0-4-0T at Langstaff, Ontario.


http://test.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=1890
ryarger@rypn.org

Author:  Bob Yarger [ Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Yet another

Another Davenport 0-4-0T at Sargent, Pennsylvania.


http://test.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=1676
ryarger@rypn.org

Author:  John Redden [ Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Yet another

> Another Davenport 0-4-0T at Sargent,
> Pennsylvania.

Bob,

We looked at this one, about 10 years ago, as a candidate for our museum at Rochester, NY. According to J. David's book, it was moved to this location circa 1914. It was in, what appeared to be, its original engine house when we inspected it around 1995 (a loco in the same house for 80-90 years has to be fairly rare).

It evidently had had a dry pipe failure at some point, because there was an external dry pipe, running from the steam dome along the side of the boiler, to the smoke box. This definitely did have the appearance of "original equipment".

John Redden

Author:  John Redden [ Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Correction

Correction:

The dry pipe did NOT have the appearance of original equipment.

JR

> Bob,

> We looked at this one, about 10 years ago,
> as a candidate for our museum at Rochester,
> NY. According to J. David's book, it was
> moved to this location circa 1914. It was
> in, what appeared to be, its original engine
> house when we inspected it around 1995 (a
> loco in the same house for 80-90 years has
> to be fairly rare).

> It evidently had had a dry pipe failure at
> some point, because there was an external
> dry pipe, running from the steam dome along
> the side of the boiler, to the smoke box.
> This definitely did have the appearance of
> "original equipment".

> John Redden

Author:  Dan Rohrback [ Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Or this engine?

> Another Davenport 0-4-0T at Fredonia,
> Kansas.

Okay, so I have a pretty comprehensive collection of slides of this engine at Fredonia. If anybody is interested, I can scan the slides into Digital format. Are you asking to see the photos, or that I post them to steamlocomotive.info, or something else?

I'm not entirely sure that it is a Davenport, since the builder's plate is missing. As I recall, this engine is not in David Conrad's book, so I don't really have any independent way to check the history. There are also a couple of four-wheel side dump cars displayed along with it.

I guess I also have slides of several other steamers in Kansas and Oklahoma which are lacking photos at steamlocomotive.info.

Dan Rohrback


dan-rohrback@cox.net

Author:  Doug Bailey [ Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Or this engine?

> Okay, so I have a pretty comprehensive
> collection of slides of this engine at
> Fredonia. If anybody is interested, I can
> scan the slides into Digital format. Are you
> asking to see the photos, or that I post
> them to steamlocomotive.info, or something
> else?

> I'm not entirely sure that it is a
> Davenport, since the builder's plate is
> missing. As I recall, this engine is not in
> David Conrad's book, so I don't really have
> any independent way to check the history.
> There are also a couple of four-wheel side
> dump cars displayed along with it.

> I guess I also have slides of several other
> steamers in Kansas and Oklahoma which are
> lacking photos at steamlocomotive.info.

> Dan Rohrback

I would be extremely grateful for any fill-ins you could possibly provide.

Regards,
Doug Bailey
www.steamlocomotive.info


Soo Line 451

Author:  Bob Yarger [ Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:32 am ]
Post subject:  Fredonia saddletanker

I would suggest posting several photos and what information you have as a news brief or at least on the Interchange. Doug could then select the best one for his website.

> I would be extremely grateful for any
> fill-ins you could possibly provide.

> Regards,
> Doug Bailey
> www.steamlocomotive.info


ryarger@rypn.org

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/